problem with the power of my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_habs_go

Beta member
Hi! I have buy 2 weeks ago on ebay a used laptop, a compaq presario 2105 us with an AMD athlon 1800+, 40 gig hard drive and 512 mb ram. In few words, the perfect deal. But, there is a problem with it: few days after I receive it, the laptop wouldn't recognise the power cord cord that was linked to the laptop and was working with the battery. I was obligated to move it to a certain position so it can run correctly.

One week later, I have invited my friend who's studying with me in electronics to try to solve the problem. We realise that the problem is that the contact with one pin of the power jack was almost not existing with the metal surface where it supposed to be(I don't know what is the word in english, if I translate ir from my langguage , french, it would be a "donut"). That "donut was a bit damaged and was not doing a circle on the pin, the donut was vertical, but still do contact with the board. So, we solder that donut with the pin, and it resolve the problem, until yesterday!

I have been to the grocery store and let my laptop working and plugged with the ac adaptor. When I came back, the battery was on and was at 5%!. I adjust in all positions the power cord, but doesn't do anything. I have open for a second time my laptop to find out my worse nightmare: the donut have broken! So, there were no more contact possible between the pin and the rest of the circuit, because the donut was no more doing that contact. I panic and making many images in my head that my laptop will no more working, etc.

So, I would really appreciate your help about what can I do to fix my problem, because now I can't use my laptop, if there is no power. Can I replace the donut, even if the circuit can be at the fifth layer of the board(my friend told me that there is many layers on a laptop board)? I can see really small holes on the bard, that is probablt those who make the contact with the donut and the rest of the circuit. Or should I send it to the repair shop? Please help me!

Yes with the "donut" they were usually only be one layer of exposed contacts, or you would get shorts.

Usually they are fairly standard connectors, and you should be able to find a replacement. I would take it back to your electronics friend to try to fix it.

Ok. But the problem is not really the connector, but the "donut" that is no more there. I can't see the circuit that link to the donut of the pin of the power jack. So, I have guess that it would be in one of the layers of the board. I can see really tiny holes that may be that link with the donut, but I don't know if I can put another that would remake taht link. So what you recommend me to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom