Athlon XP: measuring resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a problem tho. The L1 bridges are worn off a bit cause I tried to unlock it multiple times, and cause I had to remove the silver laquer cause my last unlock attempt failed. It's kinda scratched. The contacts are barely visible anymore.

Oh, I thought you just had to fill the holes and just be careful with the conductive fluid. You can see I never actually carried this out on any processors. :D

Hmmm..... Maj, I think it's too late for this cpu. Unless you want to get really ballzy, and go under a big magnifying glass and do some SMD soldering... Get in there, take a peice of copper wire strand from a solder wick, and use that to extend the contacts. Ohhhh, that is going to be hard and PITa, but will work.

:grind: Sandpaper, eh? You must not really care about that processor too much. Careful man, I can see someone going to sand that and scratching the core and ruining it.

I've been reading up on this too, since I want to unlock my 1800+. To my understanding, you place the positive prong of the multimeter on to any of the earth contacts on the PCB and then place the negative prong on each one of the L1 bridge contacts. The best thing for you to do (since you're going to attempt unlocking it again), is measure the resistance now while it's locked, and then compare these figures with the ones you obtain after you've unlocked it.

[http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/images/29.jpg]
(Right click, Save Target As)

Check out the article on Tom'sHardware about unlocking the AthlonXP multi:

See: [http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/index.html]

TMT. :cool:

To my understanding, you place the positive prong of the multimeter on to any of the earth contacts on the PCB and then place the negative prong on each one of the L1 bridge contacts
You positive about that? I have never seen a multimeter used in such a way...it's always the black (negative) prong that goes to a ground point, and the red (positive) that goes into whatever you're wanting to measure the resistance or voltage of.

EDIT: Just checked out that guide, and yeah it seems they've got the red on the ground point....strange as hell if you ask me, but meh whatever works I guess

Heh, I thought exactly the same, Nubius! It is quite odd. But, since there's no live current other than what's from the multimeter going through it, I guess it doesn't really matter what way 'round you place them. Since, it is the same circuit you're measuring the resistance of, and in turn (to my knowledge), it wouldn't matter which way you did it.

For example; if you apply power to a fan, it will go around one way; then if you switch the polarity of the power, the fan will rotate in the opposite direction. It's still executing the same action, through the same circuitry, with the same amount of power; just doing so with an inverted polarity.

TMT. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom