ASUS passive cooling for high-end video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
ASUS introduced a cooling system for high end video cards dubbed "SilentCool Technology", a fanless, noiseless cooling solution. Surprisingly, The all-new heatsink reduces GPU (graphics processing unit) by 40¢ªC while operating at 0db for silent operation. SilentCool's large heatsink design, supposably increases heat exchange area for absorbing heat away from the GPU. The hidden heat pipe and stacked fins, both made of copper, conduct heat away from the heatsink to the thing on the side. SilentCool is similar to technologies used in processor coolers, and reduces GPU temperature by 40¢ªC compared with thermal solutions for competing graphics cards.

1122412023jtlpIEGajY_1_1_l.jpg

1122412023jtlpIEGajY_1_2_l.jpg

1122412023jtlpIEGajY_1_3_l.jpg

1122412023jtlpIEGajY_1_4_l.jpg

looks crazy...don't trust passive cooling myself but I'd like to see more reviews and if it were me I'd still wind up having a fan blowing beneath it

i agree with nubius, i took my fanless heatsink off my 6600GT for a NV silencer :) Think next card i get im gonna use a cpu heatsink cable tied onto the gpu :p

Good idea ASUS but i doubt it will be as good as a fan

looks crazy...don't trust passive cooling myself but I'd like to see more reviews and if it were me I'd still wind up having a fan blowing beneath it

i dunno, with the heat pipes and all, it moves the heat off of the sink and puts it into one of the resivoir things on the top and side of the card, the copper ones with the really small fins. that way, new heat can go onto the heatsink. i wouldn't put a fan near it because it just takes the heat from the card and takes it somewhere else to warm somethign else up.

yeah, I get that it has heat pipes, but those aren't like the end all solution to cooling....no doubt it's pretty good for passive, but I'd put a small fan probably on the part that extends from the card where the heat is designed to travel to.

i wouldn't put a fan near it because it just takes the heat from the card and takes it somewhere else to warm somethign else up.
what do you think that top heatsink part with the fins is going to do....it's going to sit there and radiate heat...no matter what you're going to be having the heat 'warming something up'....if you have good case flow, and had a fan underneath it, it'd probably just dissipate it quicker

i don't know much about cooling, but if i put a fan near it, i would make sure that it was blowing OUT of the computer so it doesn't raise the ambient temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom