recognizing hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

olsonbock623

Beta member
i bought a brand new 250 GB ultra ata100 hitachi hard drive to replace my 120 GB hard drive which is showing signs of dying on me. I took out the old drive and plugged the new one in as master and set the jumpers to master and then booted up. BIOS could not detect the new drive. I went into setup and tried to get it to detect it but no luck. I put the old one back in and it recognized it right away. I tried upgrading BIOS but still not recognizing the new drive. I've tried different jumper settings and I'm about ready to say they sent me a dud. One thing I read is that it needs 80 conductor cable and I think I have 40. Maybe that's the problem but can anyone think of anything else I might try?

Do you have an old bios/MB? Perhaps the drivers aren't able to detect it appropriately.

Hitachi has this notice on their website:

"However, there are rare cases -- depending on your operating system and system configuration -- where driver compatibility may be an issue. For Macintosh, Linux and other installation and setup related problems, please see the following links:"

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/drivers.htm

Give us your detailed system specs so we can see...

motherboard -
AOpen AK79D-400VN Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard (it's a little over a year old)

I upgraded the bios and it didn't seem to help. I discovered that I do have 80 cable so that's not the problem. My old drive is a hitachi desktar too, (only a year old) and it's had no problems.

Thanks I'll check out the link.

olsonbock623 said:
motherboard -
AOpen AK79D-400VN Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard (it's a little over a year old)

I upgraded the bios and it didn't seem to help. I discovered that I do have 80 cable so that's not the problem. My old drive is a hitachi desktar too, (only a year old) and it's had no problems.

Thanks I'll check out the link.

Do you have an IT department at work, or just a friend with a PC that you could try slapping that hard drive in?

It would be a shame to send it back, get a new one, just to find out you have some unique BIOS with a limitation on hard drive size.......

when you go to the cmos, you are saying that the drive does not show up as the primary SATA master?

smileygladhands said:
Hey Bass.. what stuff do you use for studying for your cert's you have listed under your sig? Any recommendations?

I used the Mike Meyers All in One A+ guide for my A+. I'm using ExamCram 2 for my Network+.

The Mike Meyers book was a little too thorough for someone with a good foundation of knowledge, but still a great book that I highly recommend. It was 1200+ pages.

I'm halfway through ExamCram 2 Network+ right now and would recommend it too. It's thorough, but not too through. As long as you have a little networking knowledge you won't be lost. 400+ pages

smileygladhands said:
Hey Bass.. what stuff do you use for studying for your cert's you have listed under your sig? Any recommendations?

And I'm not advertising, but mcmcse is a great website for information, study guides, practice exams, forums in relation to all the CompTia and Microsoft certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom