Dual Channel Ram, Mixing Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
dumdum8684 said:
actually if i am correct the 2 256 sticks should run in dual channel if configured correctly and the 512 in single...

-Aaron

Yes, if you configure them correctly. They have to be the same size and speed to work in dual channel, and I imagine the same timings, which is why everyone says "They have to be the EXACT SAME STICKS!" which they dont need to be exactly the same, just the same size and speed.

You do not need the clock speeds the same for both memory sticks to run them in dual channel, the faster one will be underclocked to the slowest stick. But seeing as you need even numbers to run in dual channel (2 or 4) you will not be able to.

actually if i am correct the 2 256 sticks should run in dual channel if configured correctly and the 512 in single...

-Aaron

Uhh, no.....you can't have 'some ram' running dual channel while the other stick doesn't.....

With that setup, it will simply NOT run dual channel.

If you had 3 really similar sticks you could run 2x256 in channel A, and 512mb in channel B and in some cases you MIGHT get lucky assuming your board isn't picky and that'll give you dual channel...but considering his mixing brands and speeds I doubt that'll happen.

Beyond that theres no such thing as 'the 256 will run in DC, while the 512mb runs in single'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom