UPGRADE: Mobo, CPU, Memory - Need advice w/ *Brand name* vrs *Brand name*...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morilibus

Solid State Member
UPGRADE: Mobo, CPU, Memory - Need advice w/ picking the right one(s)

This is my current system:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(TM)Processor
Speed : 1.24GHz
Model Number : 1241 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR1651 (estimated)
Type : Standard
L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
Bus(es) : AGP PCI USB
MP Support : No
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7A266 ACPI BIOS Revision 1012
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7A266
Total Memory : 511MB

Chipset 1
Model : Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi) ALI M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 146MHz (292MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : SONY CPD-E540
Adapter : RADEON 9700 PRO
Adapter : RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : Maxtor 5T040H4
Hard Disk : MAXTOR 6L040J2
CD-ROM/DVD : CREATIVE DVD1240E
CD-ROM/DVD : PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk C: 37.3GB (6.8GB, 18% Free) (FAT32)
Hard Disk D: 38.2GB (10.7GB, 28% Free) (NTFS)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : General Purpose USB Hub

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Creative SB Live! series
Device : Creative Game Port

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

(retrived using SiSoftware Sandra software)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm noticing my system doesn't run new games like it use to.

I think my graphic card(RADEON 9700PRO) is up to par(maybe slightly below now)and think it's my CPU that is bottle necking my system.

So I'm thinking of either upgrading the CPU alone, in which case I'm not to sure what the best cpu I can get for the current motherboard(asus A7A266). which would be the cheaper upgrade, but not sure it will make that big of an impact.

So I was thinking might be worth upgrading the motherboard aswell as the cpu.
I was looking at the ASUS A7N8X(regular or Delux, not sure what the differences are, and whether I really need the Delux(what do you guys think?), and with that I was looking at getting the:

AMD Athlon XP Barton +2600
Processor Core Speed:
2083 MHz
Front Side Bus Speed:
333MHz
Cache:
640K Total;
128K L1 cache
512K L2 cache
462-pin SocketA

Also, Can someone help me shop :D

These all seem to be the same to me, 1x512MB PC3200 DDR ram, the only difference I can see is with the CL value, unfortunately I don't know what that is, or how that effects anything. Is there a good brand to go by when dealing with memory? (it's going to be going on a ASus MOBO.

Here's the details I have:

Kingmax 512MB PC3200 DDR TinyBGA ~$160 CAN
512MB
- PC3200
- 400MHz
- CL 2.5
- Programmable Read latency 2, 2.5 (clock)
- Programmable Burst length (2, 4, 8)
- Programmable Burst type (Sequential & Interleave)
184-pin DIMM

***Corsair 512MB XMS PC3200 Low Latency DDR CL2 ~$220 CAN
512MB
- PC3200
- 400 MHz
- CL 2-3-2-6-T1
184 Pin DIMM

***OCZ 512MB PC3200 EL DDR Platinum Edition CL2 ~$185 CAN
512MB
- PC3200
- 200 (400) MHz*
- Built with hand picked OCZ brand EL DDR IC (4.5 ns)
- CL 2-2-3-5 1T Timings
184 Pin Dimm

Kingston 512MB PC3200 DDR CAS 3 ~$109 CAN
512MB
- PC3200
- 400Mhz
- CL 3
184-Pin DIMM

Micron Original 512MB PC3200 DDR400 ~$145 CAN
512MB
PC3200
184 Pins

***these two are the ones that seem the most smilar to me, but vary $35.

Seems to be quite the price variation between them, so I'm wondering why. if I can get away with paying $110 for memory, that would be great, but I don't want to buy crap. So I need some expert advice on this. I only want to get a single stick so I can upgrade later and get a second one(memory still only works in singles or doubled right? man I'm rusty, don't remeber anything about this stuff anymore)

the main game I play is morrowind which seems to require a lot a CPU power(great game, poorly built engine), but also play lots a FPS.

So I'm looking to upgrade the core hardware of my computer(eventually have two, one for games, one for work), but for now I'm looking to spend `$500 CAN, which is about what the three items will cost, give or take a hundred bucks, but I could really use some help, I've been researching but if some who already knows this stuff can just look at it all and say what's best to get, that would help me out a ton.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you're able to provide me.

On another note

how much of a pain is it switching MOBO's and CPU and not reformating(winXP)? just putting my old hard drive into the new setup and do a repair instal on it???

Also what's a good case, cheaper the better, everything is adding up on me.

Not looking for anything fancy looking(doesn't need to scare the dog), but good cooling system (fan placements and such, optional temp reading, but that can be done with software so not really needed to be showing on the case all the time.(I'm not trying to show off my rig, looking for funtionallity)

Case ???

what do you guys think of this case

Aspire X-Dreamer (Blue) w/ Clear Side Panel $80 CAN

http://www.directron.com/xdreamer.html

I'm in Canada, if you haven't noticed, and planning to do all my shopping at a local store called Memory Express, so I'm limited to what they sell, but they seem to cary what's popular as they are a very streamlined store(you walk in tell them what you want to buy, they go grab it from the storage area, you pay for it, you leave. no salesmans bugging you, but they still know there stuff if you need help.
I can send in my order on the internet hen go pick it up later.

Hopefully I can get everything decided and get this thing ordered.

Ok this is what I'm thinking of getting

- Asus A7N8X-UAY w/Audio, LAN, AGP8X, USB2.0
- VANTEC AeroFlow VA4-C7040 for Socket A w/ TMD Fan(I'm guessing I can't yank the one off my current processor, plus I'd like to have that processor in another computer at some point)
- OCZ 512MB PC3200 EL DDR Platinum Edition CL2
- AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512K Barton
- Aspire X-Dreamer (Blue) w/ Clear Side Panel, Blue LED Fan

what do you guys think? good? bad? overkill?

is the AyN8X e-deluxe worth getting for an average user?

[Edit]Do you guys not like me? :) I can only talk to myself for so long. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thx

Personally, i would buy the deluxe since it supports pc 3200 ram. I'm not sure the mobo you choose does?

Also, you may want to get two sticks of ram to run in dual channel...either two 256, or two 512. the brand of memory you chose is very good ram.

Here is a review on your case;
http://www.modsynergy.com/Review 105.htm

---------------------

Morilibus said:
how much of a pain is it switching MOBO's and CPU and not reformating(winXP)? just putting my old hard drive into the new setup and do a repair instal on it???

You will need to do a repair of XP, or format the drive and do a clean install. XP may also require you to re-activate, since you changed a lot of components. You won't know if you have to reactivate until you are done repairing XP, but it is a painless process, even over the phone.

Also, if you run into a problem repairing XP, where you can't get past the Administrator Login to begin the repair...meaning that no matter what password you try, it fails. You should make the XP boot floppy disks, and use those to re-install the recovery console. I ran into this problem after rlacing my mobo and running a repair, and it was the only way to get past this error. It is a known issue with XP home edition.

Thanks guys,

I only wanted to get one ram stick at first so I could get one later instead of reaplacing both(Ie 1x 512mb stick instead of 2x 256mb) but is it recomended to only get them in pairs? if so I guess I could dish out for another 512mb(right now my system as 512 mb of ram and I'm finding I'm using all of it most of the time(excpet on system idle :D)

Thanks for the review on the case, I didn't know it lighted up like a christmas tree, I might have to find another one. I'd rather just the LCD with temp display lighted up.

Well the Assus E-Deluxe is only 30 bucks more then just the regualr A7N8X, and the same price as the Deluxe, so it's probably worth getting since that's not that big of a price leap, even if I don't use all the features it has right now.

Thanks you guys, you've been alot of help, I think I'm just about ready to build. just have to find a less flaming case :D

I guess the only other thing I need is cpu cooling. What do you guys recomend ? my current one is a GlobalWin FOP38 , it's fairly loud(~45 dB) and keeps my cpu between 30-40ºC. I don't mind the noise, but I'd like on that could be adjusted, since mine is only on or off.

So what's a good one for keeping the CPU Cool(don't care about apperance.)

Based on this list:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/FrameCPUFan.php

I don't have to get it from there, it's just convienient for me to do so.

THx

Just so you know, some sites (maybe your local store also) sells the CPU with fan in Retail box. That's what I'm doing.

I would prolly get an AMD Athlon XP 2600 since they're fairly cheap now
for the RAM I personally would go with 512MB Corsair Micro.
for CPU cooling the Thermaltake Volcano 7 would be the one to get with the Athlon XP
and yes get the deluxe version of the A7N8X (Asus boards are really good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom