Building PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
I'm almost done putting my computer together, but I had one question. Should I test the system before I put the drives in?

If so, can someone send me a link to a site that explains that? I know I've seen it on a website but I can't remember which website.

Well it would be best, but you have to plug the HD in. Just make sure it turns on, and the OS loads and such. Then put in the CD drive cable.

Don't have a link, but you by no means need a hard drive to test it out. Just need the memory and a cpu basically, when you boot it should run through your POST, then you'll get a "no operating system" found error.

Maybe I misunderstood his question. My impression was that he wants to make sure his system (IE Power Supply, Motherboard, Processor, Memory) were working before he puts his hard drive in and load the OS.

That's the only reason i said you don't need a hard drive, because to test those things, you don't :bald:

Yes Bassmaster, you answered my question perfectly. So which power plugs do I need to plug in? Is there a link to show me how to test my PC so that I know things are working?

persianxballer said:
Yes Bassmaster, you answered my question perfectly. So which power plugs do I need to plug in? Is there a link to show me how to test my PC so that I know things are working?

Plug in the P1 connector from your power supply to your motherboard (assuming it's an ATX motherboard). If it's a P4 motherboard, there will be 1 other 4 pin power connector.

You can't miss these two connectors, (all the other connectors are molex and 1 mini-molex). check your manual if your not sure.

That's all you will need to supply the power for now. Theres a built in speaker on your motherboard that will give you beep codes should something go wrong.

Put the memory in, CPU, video card (unless it's inegrated into your motherboard), and turn it on.

If you get your bootup screen, and your POST with no problems I would put in your hard drive and move forward.

If theres a memory, power supply or processor problem, you will more than likely find out as soon as you turn it on. You don't need any special testing equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom