The new computer build...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me give you a suggestion. If I were you I would set a budget. Whatever yours is doesn't matter. Let's say $2,500 for a good gaming/media PC. Now - search around at a few different sites. Configure a few different PC's and record the prices of each part and the total cost of the PC & Shipping. Then start saving your pennies and work your way up and meet your budget in savings.

DON'T BUY A FEW PARTS AT A TIME!!! The reason for this is simple. If you buy piece by piece, by the time you have a finished PC, there could be several changes not only in technology, but it cost per piece. You may be able to save a decent amount of money, buy waiting. Think about it. Wait until you have the money for the whole PC, then buy all the parts and build it. Plus if you buy something now, say a new videocard, but can't use it in a current PC and have to wait until you finish your new build, what sense does it make to have a 400+ dollar videocard sitting around. For example, look at the new 7800GTX's. If you bought one of those now for $550.00, in 6 months from now may-be the 7800GTX ULTRA's could be available - for $550+... You just got the best and now you can use it. Where as before, you just had the 7800GTX sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

See what I mean?

It's only going to take me about a month or slightly longer to finish. What you are saying is definitely true, but in all honesty I tend to spend instead of save a bit too much, $2500 sitting around might turn into new turbos for my car instead of a pc.

lol well i agree with havoc. set a budget before anything, and buy everything at once. if 2500 is too much, then make it 1500, easier to save up for, and still a lot of money which you can get a really good gaming computer with. 1) set a budget. 2) tell us how much, and we'll tell you whats best bang for your buck (im sure we'll come to a consensus). 3)buy. 4)build. 5)pwn some nubs on steam.

good luck!

if u really wanna go all out, but a server case, and a server mobo, get 2 processors, 2 gfx cards and SLI them and as much ram as the mobo will hold (server mobos hold a crapload of ram) and u'll be good to go for life. and i agree, watercooling is your quietist option, and dont forget neon lighting in the case!

SLI - Scalable Link Interface

It's a term dubbed by NVIDIA - It's their solution to being able to run (2) identical videocards together in one PC to increase overall performance. SLI is strictly a NVIDIA solution.

Crossfire is ATI's answer to SLI. Google Crossfire to learn more about it.

Save you're money. If you have problems saving money, try opening a new bank account and depositing when you can. Burn all the checkbooks and cut the ATM card. It will be much harder to withdraw and spend it if you have to go into the bank and do a manual withdraw.

Save - Purchase - Build

the man said he'd rather get a turbo for his car... i don't like the server idea.. and i don't like the SLI idea. let him save a reasonable amount of money for a solid gaming computer.. i doubt the server idea will give him significant increase in gaming performance.

I like mgoldb2's list. Leaves you with some choice.

Though at the bottom he said "Thermaltake xp90c" which should say "Thermalright XP-90c". I must say this is just about the best heatsink you can buy. If you have a choice on fan for this, I'd get a nice 92mm Panasonic Panaflo, as they're very quiet and put out a lot of air.
They also have an XP-120, but... that's just crazy. And very heavy. Definately not needed.

I would stay away from SLI. It's really not all it's said to be: you never really get two cards worth of performance, and in some games you can get no better or even worse.
Plus, if you don't spend the extra money on SLI now, you can save for an ATI Crossfire motherboard for later

I would like to also second the purchase of a FX-97. Can't really do any better. :D

Good luck.

I'm going to do liquid cooling. I like the idea a lot. Also, where can I buy an X900XT-PE from at a good price?

As for the 600w $200 power supply mentioned, I noticed there are a few on Ebay for under $50. Should I buy one of these, or are they more than likely crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom