Building bros comp $1500 opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hard drive cache is to hold data that is being written to or read from the hard disk. The purpose of doing so tries to reduce the number of occasions in which data has to be physically written and read from the hard disk platter. By retaining recent data within the cache performance is increased as this memory is much faster and saves time on repeat recalls.

So 8mb is better than 2mb. I have seen a visable difference between 2mb and 8mb cache. Things load and access a tad faster.

now how much is a tad, is it worth the 100 something dollars? or is that money better spent on say highend memory (or more of it). would more memory give me more of a boost compared to the harddrive? and this RAID2, how much of an increase would that make the 2mb one compared to the 8mb raptor?

you want a balanced system.

1gb of RAM. PC-3200
And a hard drive with 8mb cache.

Yes, hard drive cache is worth the extra money.

ok iv decided to (think about) changing around some things to better suit the budge. i think i will switch out the 7800 with a 6800GT and OC it to Ultra. I dont know if he will actually go out and buy another video card so maybe ill switch the SLI motherboard for the same one only without the SLI function. With this saved money I will then put it towards better memory and what ever other little gagets he so desires. any comments?

Alright iv finally got it all, ordering CPU tonight (because of August 1st price move, which could potentially increase the price of the 3700) and ordering the rest on monday. Any last minute comments on the rest of the system is welcomed, however the CPU will prolly already of been ordered by the time anyone replies here. I would like some comments/suggestions on the rest of the system however. Thanks :)

Case ::
COOLER MASTER Praetorian PAC-T01-EK Black All Aluminium Alloy ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CPU ::
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

Mobo ::
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

PSU ::
OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

Memory ::
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Hard Drive ::
Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card :: XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

DVD Drive ::
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SBLK - Retail

Other ::
VANTEC NXP-205-BK Black Fan Controller Panel - Retail

I have a few questions about some aspects of this build. First off, the motherboard. Is the Ultra (the one i have for 30 dollars cheaper) basically the same as the 200 dollar non-UT LanParty? What is the major difference if any? Also the memory im curious about, what are the major differences between that one and the value ones that are out? Would anyone notice the lower latency at all, any performance enhancments?

Lastly would 2 7800GTXs be a HUGE difference from 2 6800GTs, worth all that money?

2 7800GTXs would be a huge improvement from 2 6800GTs. 1 7800GTX is like 1 6800Ultra. Don't forget windows or arcti silver 5 if needed. Also, you might want to get an additional hard drive to the raptor.
Roger

He has an older 120 gig harddrive that he can store stuff on, the WD one is just to run windows off of. Im looking on newegg and found a combo deal with the CPU im getting. However it would force me to get the PNY 6800GT card. Does anyone have any experience with this card as opposed to the EVGA one?

Also if I were to order the 7800GTX card, which one would you recommend? The EVGA?

hmm there also seems to be a deal for the XFX 7800GTX and ASUS 7800GTX. i hate so many choices.

Edit nm im going to go with the AMD64 3700 SD CPU with XFX 7800GTX combo deal.

thanks :) i ordered the parts a couple hours ago, i wanted to get it all in under the 12am mark for rumors that August 1st was a price increase....so yea right after i ordered the 3700 guess what i found out. the X2 3800+ is now the price of the regular 64 3700...prices went down. sucks. 1 hour off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom