Radeon 9600XT is turning my monitor off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart_Morgan

Solid State Member
Hi, I have just brought a new PC and built it myself and I am having problems with the graphics card. First I turn the monitor on and it comes on fine but when I then turn the power to the computer on the monitor switches off!

I know that the monitor works fine and that all the components apart from the Radeon 9600XT are properly fitted. I have used an
old PCI graphics card to test the computer and it works fine, so the only problem is the Radeon 9600XT that is in the AGP slot.

I have no idea why it is turning the monitor off, can anybody help?

Here are the specs if it helps:

Foxconn 600A01-6LRS Motherboard
Radeon 9600XT 256MB (8xAGP)
350 Watt Power Supply

nope, it stays off

BTW its a Hercules 350w (PX-350) power supply

Should I install windows first with the old graphics card or should the Radeon 9600XT work first time when you built your computer and turned it on for the first time?

Do I need to install AGP drivers?

no, the card should work first time. windows has built in generic drivers that power ur card untill yuo install specific drivers. did you have a completly blank, formatted HDD before you tried to set up the card?

Yep completely blank HDD, brand new computer. How should I set up the card? (It turns my monitor off when I use it)

Should I use an old graphics card and install windows and then install the AGP 3.0 motherboard chipset drivers? (Dont think they are on there at the moment)

I have installed windows and AGP drivers using the old PCI graphics card (taking out the new graphics card) but the new AGP graphics card still causes the monitor to turn off whenever I try to turn the computer on.

I have run out of ideas. What could it be?

This is what it says on the side of my power supply:

Hercules PX-350 (350 watts)

AC Output
220V 3A 50HZ
110V 6A 60HZ

DC Output
+3.3V 18A
+5V 25A
+12V 12A
+5VSB 2A

Is it powerful enough?

Status