Fakers beware: no more MS updates for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's the deal. in August, September of 2-3 years ago (I forget which), they just started locking computer. most of the program wouldn't work and the computer would act retarded. you couldn't reinstall windows on those computers as MS put something in the master boot record.

the problem arisen when they realized that they locked thousands of legit computer. they blame it on a virus and promptly unlock all of those computers.

then they started making a blacklist of certain keys. that wasn't working so good either because they were still locking some legit computers. then they started attacking known bootleg keys.

here was the problem. people started figuring out what MS was doing. MS was deny it at first, admit it, then deny it, then admit it, then deny it again.

I'm guessing that they aren't locking computers anymore. I did fix a computer at the beginning of this year, because it wouldn't log on because it had a bootleg key (it said something to this effect)

yep and i remeber when tha happen too alot of people where mad, so its a risk they are taking but its not going to last.

waynejkruse10 said:
why cant you use a format tool if you had a locked computer?

you couldn't use windows tools like fdisc or the xp cd. it would say that files on the cd was corrupt and it couldn't read them. sometime was in the mbr that wasn't allow you to.

you could use 3rd party tools like PM or power max though, as long as you delete the 7.8 mb part too (mbr)

FCKGW RHQQ2...........

My computer came with win2000 sticker, maybe i should use that.

win2k is great.... uses very little resources, and is reliable.

Anyways you must have like a workstation computer if you have a 2k license affixed to the tower............

it's quite easy to fix MBR.. there is a tool in win 98 boot disk (i'm damn sure that win 98's stuff can be used in the fixed computer).. they have a fix MBR tool (i used that about 1 year ago to restore to windows mbr from linux one)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom