Oh No!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj022698

Baseband Member
I used "killdisk" freeware to clean my hard drive and now it says "no operating system found"

I have tried changing the boot sequence but I only have the option between A: and C:
Where did my CD-ROM go??
What do I do.
I don't have a floppy drive!

I only have a cd-rom and I can't even find it!

I wish I could tell you the OS that it restored to but I have NO idea!

Relax, killdisk did its job. ;) Killdisk does not restore anything, it wipes your drive clean. You have no operating system because it wiped your drive clean as its supposed to do.

This is for that laptop earlier today, correct? Since you only have a CD Rom drive and a hard drive I'm assuming that "A" is your CD Rom drive and "C" is your hard drive. Now that you have a clean drive, follow the Win 98 instructions on the page I gave you earlier today. Relax, take a few breaths, you'll get through this. :)

guess what kill disk killed your disk

funny no? It did it's job then.

If you can't find it try the old way. Go into does and start doing this

cd A:/
dir
cd B:/
dir
cd C:/
dir

and so on till you hit the actual CD Rom

I don't mean to sound really stupid but.....

I'm looking at the thread you replied to earlier. You said I don't have to worry about partitioning since I only had a C: drive.
I only have a 98 upgrade disk so I'm simply trying to install the 95 but I can't even get it to read any disk. I can hear it running but the only thing in the boot sequence is A: and C: (no cd-rom) and as you know I have no floppy.

The only thing I know how to do is hit F2 which doesn't do me much good.

As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin

Tyler1989 said:
guess what kill disk killed your disk

funny no? It did it's job then.

If you can't find it try the old way. Go into does and start doing this

cd A:/
dir
cd B:/
dir
cd C:/
dir

and so on till you hit the actual CD Rom

sounds stupid but how do I get to the DOS when I can't even get it to load?

good point I forgot you mentioned you lack a floppy.....

Be sure to enter CMOS and set your PC to boot from a CD
save the changes
exit CMOS
When it says no emulation detected click any key on your keyboard
Win 95 should be loading

Edit: I prefeer you to post questons and not clog my PM inbox but no worries to enter CMOS it sounds like it is "F2". Carefull not to change any important settings just change the boot order to CD first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a question for everyone else I can't remember that far back was Win95 a bootable CD?

Tyler1989 said:
good point I forgot you mentioned you lack a floppy.....

Be sure to enter CMOS and set your PC to boot from a CD
save the changes
exit CMOS
When it says no emulation detected click any key on your keyboard
Win 95 should be loading

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a question for everyone else I can't remember that far back was Win95 a bootable CD?

When do I enter CMOS?

The only thing I know how to do is F2?

BIOS.... CMOS.... It's all the same

F2 will do you fine enter the "BIOS" and change the boot order to CD first, save your changes and exit. When booting it will say no emulation once it says that press any CD key to boot into Win95.

Now for old people can you remind me if Win95 is even a bootable CD?

Yes it will any BIOS will give you the option. F2 when the image burned into your firmware apears it will look into BIOS or CMOS. Then you find the "boot" area as they call it in my BIOS verson and change the boot order. I use award medallion 6 revision 1001 I'm not sure what BIOS you are using but it does support booting into a CD unless your PC is +13 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom