Building bros comp $1500 opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this seems like a hardcore gaming machine you should get a nicer monitor with a 8ms response time, i suggest hyundai L90D, its $100 than the other great viewsonic monitor. Its $340. If you dont want this one make sure you get a monitor with 8ms response time and a DVI connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014

For your case, Thermaltake is one of the best brands with for cases and i would suggest them over raidmax.

For your Ram i would suggest either some twinmos or some OCZ el plat revs. The Revs go for about $170 for 1GB and i hear they make a good pair with the MSI board.

Great Cpu, Great Mobo, Great PSU.

Maybe a Thermaltake Hardcano for your fan controller? I havent heard anything about that fan controller, i have just heard that the hardcano is good.

Personally, i dont think the 36GB 10K hard drive is worth it. I would Just RAID 2 drives.

now about the ram, i read up on a test conducted where there were several different types of ram tried in the same machine, and while during hardware tests and the like the best ram performed as it should, better. However when it came to games, all the ram were either the same or such a small amount of difference that it wasnt anywhere near worth the money. has anyone seen that test at all?

I believe it was done using old ram, value ram, decent ram, and the highend shit.

if you are not going to overclock your ram, go ahead and get the corsair value, if you dont overclock your ram, the difference between value ram and high end ram is very small, if any.

i do plan on OC'ing just about everything but video card until i actually learn how to, but im not quite sure by how much i want to go with the ram, maybe itll be worth it, iv got to look at my budget again. and what did you mean about the harddrives? Can RAID 2 increase the speed? Hard drives and ram, totally newb to those 2 things.

RAID can increase the speed of the hard drives.

I also suggest getting the eVGA 7800GTX instead of the BFG, BFG overprices thier products for a little overclock. Overclocking your video card is probably the easiest out of overclocking Ram and Processor.

truebe said:
I also suggest getting the eVGA 7800GTX instead of the BFG, BFG overprices thier products for a little overclock. Overclocking your video card is probably the easiest out of overclocking Ram and Processor.
Did you even look at the prices?

eVGA 7800 GTX 450/1200 - $545
XFX 7800 GTX 490/1300 - $549
BFG 7800 GTX 460/1300 - $559

As you can see, BFG is hardly overpriced (+$14) for a reliable OC'able card. My cousin owns a BFG, and they can OC well, though they may not have a peak OC higher than most other cards. At least their stock OC is ahead of the others making going further a bit easier.

I wouldn't shut out the XFX. It's only $4 more than the eVGA, even cheaper than the BFG, for a higher stock OC. Now whether or not you trust XFX is up to you, but don't assume that all of their cards are bad when in fact that may not be the story. On the basis of others' experience with the XFX, it is a very reliable and powerful card.

eVGA is well known for their quality and can be overclocked more than the overclock BFG gives you. I'd rather stick with with a widely agreed quality card than a small overclock. People have also had problems with XFX in the past.

Has it been proven that the eVGA 7800 GTX OC's further than the BFG 7800 GTX and the XFX? I'd like to see benchmarks.

I do agree that eVGA is a widely agreed high quality card, but where are you getting the idea that the BFG isn't? They definitely have been a bit overpriced, but I think this case, you are getting a very good deal. Personally I would go with the XFX over the BFG, but if you really don't trust 'em, I don't see why the BFG can't be the next option.

This is what I see in the BFG: high stock OC, potential to OC further, reputation as a very reliable card, low additional cost for the stock OC
Perhaps there is something I don't see.

Originally posted by truebe
People have also had problems with XFX in the past.
Exactly. And I read somewhere at these forums that XFX produced a bunch of DOA cards, but that was fixed and their current cards are very reliable. Please correct me if this story is incorrect. I heard it from here, but there is plenty of misinformation everywhere.

According to Anandtech, they were able to bring up the eVGA to 487/1270 with Coolbits' "detect optimal frequencies". However, there were a bunch of artifacts. The stable speed they arrived at was 475/1250. As you can see, that is a good OC'ed clock lower than the BFG/XFX stock clock. Imagine how much further it can go after an OC.

Anandtech's eVGA 7800 GTX OC results

However, anandtech claims that that story was a bit bugged in their MSI review: http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2479&p=3

I still wouldnt go BFG or XFX. I know you have a good point, but if im going to spend $550 on something, im going to make sure its the best quality, and i havent heard anything good about BFG. I think the eVGA can overclock more than that...but i may be wrong. In my opinion go eVGA, in yours, go BFG. The buyer can pick either one.

both of you have very valid points, i did some looking around and both seem a valid choice (above the one i choose) however due to the fact that XFX have in the past been known to have issues i think i will change to the eVGA and just OC it myself. Thanks for the advice on that one. Im basically done with the hardest part of building a computer, however im still caugt up on ram, ill spend the rest of tonight browsing, im over the budget by a reasonable amount, i should call him tomorrow see if he is willing to pay for good ram or stick with value ram. thank you to everyone, this has been extremely helpful to me, and im sure some others reading thru this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom