Intel Xeon=???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not nessesarily supporting his virtual cpu statement, but simply helping understand. I know nothing about the architectures of Opterons.

And, "Hyperthreading" is just Intel's word for their version of a process called "multithreading".

There is a big difference between hyperthreading and multithreading.

Rather, it depends on what you consider multithreading.

Normally you have time-sharing multitasking, in which processes may have many threads, and all threads "run" at the same time, yet the CPU still only deals with one thread each time slice and then context switches to the next thread. This is virtual thread-level parallelism. It could be called multithreading, since processes may still split execution into discrete threads.

In SMP enabled systems, you have true multithreading, in which two physical processors each simultaneously can execute threads, either belonging to the same or different processes. This is true thread-level parallelism. This is another type of multithreading.

In a hyperthreading system, you have a very similar idea to SMP, however you can not achieve true thread-level parallelism in most cases. That is, the CPU still only has one execution path, however in some cases another thread may share the unused resources along the path inside the CPU. This is a kind of hybrid true/virtual thread-level parallelism, since some threads can, more or less, run in parallel, and some cannot. This is also "sort of" multithreading.

By the way, if you already knew all of that, no offense intended. I recall now I remember reading somewhere that you were a Computer engineering major? Or was that someone else?

My mistake. It's been a long night. I should have probably said, "single-core multithreading" or something of the sort.

I understand the rest already. I'm sure others can use the information though.
Others: read that, so you don't have to ask questions later! :)

diesel2005 said:
lol ur prescot isnt bad mate put i bet u regretting it now

kinda, but not really. if ihad bought the parts to my pc now then i probably would have gone amd, but when i bought it intel was the only one with pci-e, and i didn't want to buy a mobo that wouldn't take any future video cards. pentium is not half as bad as most make it out to be, plus i got my cpu for 150, which is cheap as hell.

/jnev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom