comparing AMD to P clock speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheky

Baseband Member
Kind of a noob question, but I'm planning to buy my first Athlon processor. I know that mhz arent all that matter, but I wondering what a Athlon 64 3200 939 pin would translate to in Pentium speeds. And a 64 3000? (Just to get an idea of how the translation works)

Basicly their rating equals a pentium processor for most tasks

For video, Intel is much better than AMD
For gaming, AMD is much better than Intel

Without starting another idiotic AMD-vs-Intel thread...

The original marketing attempt from AMD was to put a number at the end of the series model that buyers could associate to the pompus Intel speeds being splattered everywhere at the time.

For instance, a 3.0Ghz Intel was comparable to a AMD 3000.

That only worked well up till the end of the AMD Athlon XP series. Now with the new 64bit AMDs and the even newer dual-core 64bit AMDs, the comparisons really diverge. It's not as simple anymore to just say that the speed of one is comparable to the speed of the other. They are functionally too different now.

Your best bet for determining what is good for you, is to read some benchmarks comparing the AMD and Intel chips you're looking at, for tasks you intend to perform. Everything else is purely unfounded conjecture.

When AMD says "3700+" or "3200+" they are saying basically that this chip will operate as good if not better than a 3.7ghz or a 3.2 ghz cpu. They are very subtly saying that "This processor will run like a Pentium 3.7". They are very pretentious in their naming scheme. Pentiums always have a higher clock speed, and when overclocking, you can get a much higher clock speed on a pentium, although not necessarily more power.

the only difference youll see between the two is the p4 will be better at multitasking and the amd will be better at single tasks (a.k.a. gaming).

I think AMD's term for their speeds were approximately equal to "the competition's" processors, and never really points towards Intel. I agree, that they don't line up anymore and have merged off quite a bit from the 'older' Ath. XP series.

They sure as hell do not point to other processors besides Intel

AMD ratings do nto compare to VIA processors, it would take a 9ghz VIA to top AMD off right now.

I'm not saying it isn't obvious that their only "competition" is Intel, but that they don't want to say they're directly competing and having to mark with Intel, making them seem like the lesser company, that just happens to be keeping up.

Like I said, they are very subtly poking at Intel. That is the onyl reason they would have such a namiing scheme. On any review websites, when they talk about an AMD 3700+ they would compare it to an Intel 3.7ghz, it is them saying alomost outright that they are better than Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom