R520 w/ 'only' 24 pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people like me and you gaara would be particular to ATI because it benefits our local economy so much.
This is true, my engineering class had plans to go on a trip to ATI but they never got back to our offer. :(

I wouldn't mind getting a job there testing out betas for them :p

gaara said:
This is true, my engineering class had plans to go on a trip to ATI but they never got back to our offer. :(

I wouldn't mind getting a job there testing out betas for them :p

If your looking for a technical job, it wouldnt be hard. I think their GTA's largest technical employer

*markham is part of GTA

ha ati if they release the 16 pipe everyone will be soo dissapointed since that was supposed to be a next generation card but yet again they find a way to mess that up but if i were them i would wait till they can get it donce cause no one realy knew what time it was supposed to come out in the first place soo hold off or make a 16 piper and 32 piper
lets see if they can mess this up

timmer said:
ha ati if they release the 16 pipe everyone will be soo dissapointed since that was supposed to be a next generation card

hey, trust me, they are not stupid... they didn't work that hard for such a long time to release the same technology in the x800's with 16 pipes... those are just rumors from nvidia fanboys trying to make peace in their minds, cuz they know the x900's are gonna rape the 7800's, and they don't like that :p

what pipeline info? the 16 pipes? no way, i'll bet you $1000, ppl at ATI are not dumbasses, they don't just all the sudden become stupid... they made 16 pipes like 6 months ago, what makes you think they are not smart enough to get out at least 24, if not 32

pc_boy said:
what pipeline info? the 16 pipes? no way, i'll bet you $1000, ppl at ATI are not dumbasses, they don't just all the sudden become stupid... they made 16 pipes like 6 months ago, what makes you think they are not smart enough to get out at least 24, if not 32

Because they messed up using a 90nm process with too many errors in the chips.

Nvidia are only using a 110nm process for the 7800GTX, because if they could have, Nvidia would have made a 32 pipe version, and a 90nm card as well. But that's not going to happen soon.

ATI has 3 choices
1: Increase the clockspeed
2: Move to a 110nm process, like the X-Box 2
3: Keep trying

Do you think this info is false pc_boy, beacuse I actually care what happens to ATI in the long run.

Usually the deciding factor for me on which brand of graphics card to go with is whom ever has the best designed box it comes pacakaged in. This tells me they have quality in mind if they care about there packaging.

^ That makes me chuckle.

I sure hope you're not serious.
EXAMPLE: Thermalright: makes, argueably, the best heatsinks money can buy. You cannot beat them. But... all of them, with only a couple exceptions, come in a plain-jane, brown box.

----

Back on topic-o.

Yes, the 90nm process is very hard to do. They messed up, and so thats why the higher end x800-series cards were nearly impossible to get, because it was somewhat rare (in comparison) to get a chip that was good enough to have all the pipelines and the clockspeed that the higher end cards were rated at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom