OCing athlon xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baseband Member
i was wondering what is the max(but safe) extent as to how much i can overclock my cpu.
AMD anthlon XP 1800+ 1.30 GHz
i have a regular cpu fan and two more on the case. at some point in the next several months im going to get a raideater tower but until then i want to know what i can do with my regular fans.

im a noob when it comes to overclocking and im confused on how i do this, there is a AI freaquency tuner and when i select it it gives me options like 5% or 10% and so on, is that what i need to change? there is also a setting were i change the voltage going to the cpu and im pretty sure thats it although im not fooling around with anything till im sure. there are some other options that i can tell you if the two above arent the right options. anyone that would like to help a OCing idoit :p would be... helpfull.

Turn off the automatic overclocking and go do some research. There is a pretty good begginers guide to overclocking put as a sticky at the top of the Overclocking topic here at TF. Read that, do some more researching. Google is a good resource. Once you do that, you will figure some thigns out on your own.

All overclocks are different! Just because someone got a 500mhz increase on their Athalon 1.8, dosent mean you will, you may not even get a 200mhz increase. There are just so many dammed variables. Your motherboard, ram, cooling, core, the engineering of the core, all kinds of things.

just run it with a 3/4mhz higher fsb then test it for a while. Then run it a bit higher until your temps get too high or instability occurs. Once that happens, bring it back to the last "stable" instance and test it for a few hours with prime 95.

well mine ran at 1.30GHz(or craptacular microsoft OS is wrong and it did run at 1.57). but i was able to put it up to 2.17GHz with out too much excess heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom