learn about comps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
I want to learn the basics of computer hardware and software (mainly hardware.) Are there any good sites in perticular I could visit with lots of articles explaining the basics of computer technology?

ps. sorry if this is in wrong section, wasnt really sure where to put it.

No really good sites, but this would help

Upgrading and Reparing PC's 16th Edition by Scott Meulleur

1600 pages of hardware :)

1600 pages, wow. not really in the market for a book though (especially if it cost much.)

Does anyone know of a free online course that I can take or anything like that? I tried just reading articles I found on the web but they were not very up to date. I started reading an article on motherboards and the author went off talking about how Pentium II's are the latest "powerhouse" processors to come out.....yeah.

are you trying to learn how to build a computer or you want to get deep down to how computers actually work?

well if it's the former, then you can learn it from your friends

if it's the latter, then you have a lot to do. It's a whole Computer Engineering curriculum in a university, but if you are not in college, then you can start by learning assembly language. THere are tons of this topic on the internet, and you don't need anything up to date.

But I don't think you are in any of those situations above. I think you just want to know about all the brands of motherboards, video cards, processors and memory and stuff just to show off. I'm sure you won't get much from this because I used to do it and failed, cuz eventually I realized I need a lot of professional knowlege to understand, and that's why I'm in computer engineering major. you are only 17 years old so I would recommend you to go to college and study that topic.

well really I just want to know about all the brands of GPUs, MoBos, CPUs, ect. because I want to build my own comp and I want to choose the parts myself rather than just listening to people on a forum. Even though you guys know what your talking about (most of you) I want to know what I'm buying and building just because I am interested and so I feel like I know what I'm doing to a degree.

Plus, you wouldn't know how many requests for computer parts lists and look-overs you would see on here in a month-period.

You could browse places like www.tomshardware.com and just look around for specific areas you might want to learn about... that's all I can really think of, other than searching google for everything.

Good luck on your future computer builds!

alecjahn said:
Plus, you wouldn't know how many requests for computer parts lists and look-overs you would see on here in a month-period.

You could browse places like www.tomshardware.com and just look around for specific areas you might want to learn about... that's all I can really think of, other than searching google for everything.

Good luck on your future computer builds!

Yeah, tom's hardware is a good place. Just check out the manufacturer's website and read about items and come here and ask about anything you might not understand.

www.howstuffworks.com

You'll get a great general insight about how all the components work. Then, armed with this knowledge, you'll begin to decipher these threads. I'm still having trouble with finding out what all the video card model #'s and the higher power processor #'s mean.

Ryan

It isn't even worth memorizing all the various model numbers and brands and manufacturers of this or that PC part.

Just learn the basic parts that all computers need, and then consult the latest reviews on a hardware site for whats hot, since it changes literally daily.

What you'll probably gather:

Everyone has different knowledge levels over exact products and technicalities, and numbers and processes (not processors), etc. Everyone has different approches to selection and building. You just need to find your own, and not be swayed by the ways of the name-specific fanboys and hardcore brand-busters.
I, like to attempt (though not always succed) to get as much information on a subject into my cranium as possible. You probably don't need to have such an acute approach to it. As long as you get the basic breeze of what's out there, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom