Fakers beware: no more MS updates for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Fakers beware: no more MS updates for you

Microsoft is no longer providing updates to non-genuine versions of its Windows XP operating system. From today, the company has switched over to a full launch of its Windows Genuine Advantage Programme as part of its ongoing anti-piracy campaign.

Users will now have to join the WGA authentication program if they want to receive software updates from the Microsoft Download Centre or from Windows Update. However, MS says it will still provide security patches for pirated systems, which will be available via Automatic Updates in Windows.

To register for the WGA, users just need to visit the Microsoft Download Centre, Windows Update or Microsoft Update. There they will be prompted to download an ActiveX control that checks the authenticity of their Windows software and, if Windows is validated, stores a download key on the PC for future verification.

Microsoft stresses that this process "does not collect any information that can be used by Microsoft to identify or contact the user".

Back in January 2005, Microsoft extended the pilot scheme - which had been running in English since September 2004 - to include 20 different languages. It also broadened the kind of content available to participants. Microsoft says many of the 40 million people who signed up for the pilot did so because they wanted a way to check that their own copy of XP was genuine.

The company also says it will replace pirated software with genuine versions - free of charge to customers who submit piracy reports and proof of purchase, and for £61 or £92 for XP Home or Professional editions respectively for customers who submit piracy reports but don't have proofs of purchase.

Thats been known for sometime now, the problem I currently have, I traded my legit product key in for a copy of XP 64 Pro and a new product key, fortunately Microsoft still authenticated my current XP Home one for me, so they are being more than reasonable I would say.

This is going to affect many, many people since so many pirate their version of Windows. If MS wouldn't charge so damn much, there wouldn't be as many piraters. $300 for a full copy of XP Pro...thats freaking rediculous.

It's only $120.... $300 when it was new everything is expensive when it's new but now it's $120...

They used to lock your computer up if they found it to be bootleg, but they messed up and locked up thousands of legit computers.

Then they blame it on a virus.

I remember this vividly. I was fixing a few computers and I couldn't reformat them for the world. My internet connection also wasn't acting right. But as soon as I hooked my own legit computers back and head to windows updates and download anything, my problems would clear up.

I also figure out that if I took those computers and wipe them with a third party (in this case I was taking the hard drives out and putting them on my computer and using partition magic to wipe them clean) tool, I could now install windows of them.

To this day, if you use windows with the H2HYJ-28PQM-6HGFG-CWMMD-V2C62
Key they will lock you. That was the key and OS system that what just floating around the internet (just googling it, would give you a download link). There was a guy here who had a computer business in Columbus, who charged people full price for that copy. I made a lot of money fixing those computers (I had them buy a legit copy of window).

I'm confuzed why did you post a legit serial key of windows on this board? Does that key somehow corrupt your system? I don't see how a simple key could do what you said.

Microsoft with XP SP1 began blocking known leaked registration keys. You could still install the OS using that key but could not install that service pack. They have continued that with SP2 as well. Now MS sees that they cannot and will not ever be able to block all leaked keys because key-gens now produce keys indistinguishable from proper keys. They will stop people from using Microsoft Update with known keys added to their "block list" but it will hardly make a dent.

tribalsun said:
Microsoft with XP SP1 began blocking known leaked registration keys. You could still install the OS using that key but could not install that service pack. They have continued that with SP2 as well. Now MS sees that they cannot and will not ever be able to block all leaked keys because key-gens now produce keys indistinguishable from proper keys. They will stop people from using Microsoft Update with known keys added to their "block list" but it will hardly make a dent.

yeh and that was the most famous leaked XP corperate (meaning that it didn't need activation) key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom