microsoft windows network

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasup3rman

Baseband Member
hey guys, i have a problem with the networking at my work.

heres the scenario.
room 1 has computer a & computer b
room 2 has computer c

im trying to network computers a, b, and c together.

however, the networking system is run a little weird at my work... none of us has access to the main network settings cause i guess they set all computers connected to the network as peer to peer or something...
and when computer A and computer B try to locate other computers in the network, it is able to do it without trouble or problems. the ONLY computer it can't detect or find is computer C.
the same goes for computer C. Computer C can find or locate any other computer in the network EXCEPT for computers A and B..

im not sure what the problem is, so i was wondering if you guys could help me out?

i tried placing all of them in the same workgroup name, but the same problem occurs, they can't see/read each other as being part of the network. and when i say placing them in the same workgroup, i merely changed their workgroup names to be identical (is that how you do it?)

anyways, i dont care about the other computers in the network, i just want these 3 computers to be able to network with each other.. =/

thanks in advance for any help you guys may provide

There is'nt much technical information that you could give (IP addresses, subnet etc. etc. ) so I can really help. But for starters;

1) Make sure that all three of them have file sharing enabled
and most importantly make sure that they're all using the same networking protocol;

2) Try resetting the Subnet properties for the connection.

3) Disable (or modify) any firewall on the 3 computers.

4) Go Start, Run and the type services.msc . On your services window ensure that your computer browser service is started. (All PC's)

5) Try installing the protocol IPX on the 3 ( It's one of the protocols; old one... TCP/IP has replaced it.. but IPX is rock-solid when it comes to seeing/reading intranet. But not very good with the internet.) My inner networks engineer doesnt want to give you this advise.. but what the heck? it has worked sometimes. :D

6) If you're centrally connected with a router. The odds are the router needs to be configured for these machines. see; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315978

7) Hellooo?...Helloo? Still with me?.... Have a break.. have a kit-kat.

Let know of any progress.
Laterz
Faraz

1. what do you mean networking protocol? all three of them are different OS's... one is xp, one is w2k, one is 98...

2.how do i change the subnet properties? its a static address.. so i can just change it manually? and if i do, to what?

3. disabled all firewalls

4. (im not at work so ill try this tomorrow)

5. i have no idea what this means -->Try installing the protocol IPX on the 3 ( It's one of the protocols; old one... TCP/IP has replaced it.. but IPX is rock-solid when it comes to seeing/reading intranet. But not very good with the internet.)

6. im not sure how its connected.. can u tell me? all computers in the building are connecting to the internet and the network with a simple ethernet cord that goes into the wall. .so im not sure what it is... (router? hub)? i have no idea

thanks a lot for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom