AMD 64 motherboard compatability??

Status
Not open for further replies.

compbone

Beta member
Hello... I have a AMD 64 chip... its 2.20 GHZ. I only have a FSB of 200 something MHZ. No jumpers on the board to increase it.. and nothing in the bios. If i upgrade to a socket 939 motherboard with a fsb of 2000MT/s will this increase the speed of the computer.. ever since i built it.. it ran horrible... the exsisting mother board is not a socket 939... idk what it is.

also what does 2000MT/s mean?

please help...

thanks

First of all, you will need a new processer to change the Socket of the motherboard.

Second, the 2000 is the Hypertransport speed, the big advantage if going with the Socket939 boards is Dual channel ram, and also I don't think the 754's have PCIE compatability.

If you have a 2.2ghz AMD64, you should not be running slow. Look into your software before you investigate new hardware.

You cant change the socket on a mobo, its set. U would need a new mobo 2 change it

You have no problem, the FSB is only 200, but the HyperTransport (does the hard work, it's the equivelant to the FSB on an intel board) is 2000 mhz or 200*5*2

yea man.. my computer has been very slow.. i think the socket of this particular mother board starts with a 7 perhaps. So 2000mt/s isn't the FSB speed?! if i did upgrade... what would my perspective FSB be with my 2.20 amd 64 chip??

thanks for your reply... i shall look into my MB software:p

Your FSB is not changing with an AMD chip, unless you make it go lower
If your compter is acting slow it's most likely software issues

And your thinking of socket 754

yip! 754 thats it mang... you think its the mobo software? those bastids couldn't have an updated version sent with the board ;)

i'm baffeled...

any more ideas

I'll give you guys some more insight to exactly what I have, i just found my mobo manual, lol. Basicly original half life (for example) runs pretty bad on this computer and I have no idea why?!

Its an AMD 64 3200 chip

chaintech sk8t00 mobo +vt8237

sisoft sanda says 1x200 mhz fsb (200 mhz)

pheonix bios

i have 512mb DDR400mhz

ti4400 vid card

win XP OS

So main question is... what exactly should I be upgrading, how do you do it... and where do i get the upgrade? any info would be great, thanks again!

Well if origional half life run's bad on that PC, you have some major driver issue, like you didnt install a driver

If your gaming, the key upgrade would be the graphics card

I had a much "slower" previous system (amd xp1700) and it ran half life like a champ. All drivers are installed... (ie.) main board drivers.. vid card *upgraded drivers... all kinds of drivers... i can't make sense on why my new amd 64 system is so slow?! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom