how much tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you mounting your heatercore outside of that thing? You have a very large case, much larger than the average case, so why dont you put it on the inside? You are at the point where you are going to have to start hacking off some peices here and there to get thigns to fit. Plus, if you put your heatercore on the inside, you can use the air comming through it is sub cooling for some other things in it. You should have the whole thign entirely self contained, using one thing to cool another thign as much as possible. Just reuse the air as much as you can before it exits the case. Since it will be immediately used to cool the heatercore before it catches some heat, it wont have to cool anything too hard to cool, and will work. You could remove a front intake and use the fan on the front of the heatercore as an intake fan. An intake fan brings in air an cools something off, so why wouldnt that work? It will. Just mount other fans elsewhere. When you mount your fans onto your heatercore, make sure to use a shroud and back the fans off a few inches so there is room for the air to build up some pressure. You will get a higher airflow rate, and therefore cooler temps. Remember, every 1/4 of a degree here counts. Have one fan pushing air into the heatercore on one side, and the fan on the otherside sucking air out. If you are using two fans on each side, use the same idea.

I bought 10FT of tubing. Like Gaara said, you will need tubing for wrong cuts and mistakes and whatnot. It's better to buy too much than not enough. Plus you will use more tubing than you measured, because you have to take into consideration the bends of it. Tubing bends differently than a tape measure.

You can just get hose clamps for the tubing. As long as it clamps the hose, you need nothing more. All you need it to do is to clamp the hose and prevent water from comming out, so you wouldnt need anything special.

I originally wanted to put it on the inside, but it would be a very tight fit at the bottom if I don't remove the 120mm and 80mm intake and the floppy bay (look to the left in that pic I posted earlier).

I could remove that whole front section and just use the heatercore intake as the case intake, but the heatercore exhaust (ontop of heatercore intake) would blow air directly onto the front panel.

I suppose I could just mount the other 120mm exhaust on the other side of the heatercore so it pulls air from the heatercore and blows it towards the rest of the case. Should I be getting two single heatercore shrouds for this instead of one double heatercore shroud to do this? The shrouds at the dangerdenstore at damn expensive. $13.95 each!

I saw something out there about making your own shroud for like $2.95 (just cut some plastic bins), but it was only for a double heatercore. Though I don't see why this wouldn't work for a single shroud. Take a look: http://overclock.net/showthread.php?t=12327

This is what you suggested, yes?
case2.jpg

In order to do that, I will have to remove the 80mm above it and the floppy bay. I just hope that they're screwed on. I don't feel like cutting it as I don't have those tools. If I could salvage it, perhaps I could put it elsewhere in the case.

That is exactly what I was talking about. It is prolly just riveted on, and those drill out with little effort.

That was EXACTLY what I was talking about, place your heatercore like that. You will have to do some case modding, but thats the point, right?

All shroud are are something over the fans to concentrate and direct the air flow. People make them from plastic tupperware containers, I've seen people just duct taping peices of cardboard in place and make a ghetto shroud. Who cares what it looks like, as long as it works.

On your core, have a fan on one side pushing in and a fan on the other side pulling from. You should have the fans that are one side of the core both in the same shroud, meaning you should only have one shroud per side of the heatercore, but big enough to incorporate any fans for that side of the core.

I'm only putting one fan on each side of the heatercore, so two single shrouds would do, yes?

To be honest though, that is damn expensive for just a shroud when like you said, they can easily be made and they function just as effective.

I'm thinking since that 120mm front intake is already there, do I really have to attach it to the heatercore? Couldn't I just attach a 120mm "exhaust" on the right of the heatercore (refer to that pic) and just put the heatercore next to the front intake?

I don't think it really has to be attached to the bonneville by a shroud, as long as it's blowing air in its direction.

Think that would work instead? Not much sense in paying for two shrouds when you're just going to throw the fan back in its original mounting spot.

Maybe even then I can use 2x120mm on the back of the heatercore to pull air away from it and blow more air around in the case.

Something to this effect:
case3.jpg

The green represents the current front intake: not attached to the heatercore, just in its original mounting spot.
The red represents 2x120mm exhaust mounted on the heatercore by a double shroud.

Well, since you are using the Bonneville, I recommend you use 2 fans on each side as to increase your cooling as much as possible. As long as the fan is pointing at the heatercore,. I suppose you could use the one that is already attached. But you want a shroud over it, so ALL the air will go thru the core and not off to the side and elsewhere, that is the point of a shroud.

Cardboard. I could always use cardboard to direct the airflow to the bonneville, yes?

The only problem with putting 2x120mm at the front intake is that the top one would be fairly useless. The case is open only by an 80mm size fan. So that top 120mm fan would only receive outside air from an 80mm opening in the front panel.

And does the bonneville really need extreme cooling? (ie. 4x120mm). My cousin says anything more than 2x120mm is overkill, but he has another rad.

No, it's not overkill. You can NEVER have too much cooling. If the 120mm is too big, than use an 80mm. You want as many fans on that heatercore as possible. Because the cooler it is in there, the cooler it is inherently throughout the rest of the loop.

And yes, you can use cardboard. All it is is to direct the flow of air. You could even go really cool and get one of those tubes from a dryer and use that, that would be cool. I think I may do that actually...

But is it absolutely necessary to have 4 fans on it? Would the difference in temperatures on the heatercore be noticeable if I escaped with 1x120mm intake + 2x120mm exhaust rather than 2x120mm intake + 2x120mm exhaust?

Should I have more fans blowing air onto the bonneville or pulling air off of it? I know it would be best to just put as many as possible, but surprisingly, room could cut tight and the front panel permits two 120mm intake.

No, it's not absolutely neccessary to have four fans, but it dosent hurt. You would rather have more fans blowing into it than exhausting, because the intake fans will exhaust the air itself by blowing it through, but ti dosent hurt to speed up the exhaust of that air, hence the other two fans.

So you should have more air blowing through there, so 2 intake and one exhaust if that is going to be your setup.

Well, the whole tubing issue as to how much is rested.

My mom was able to get Tygon tubing as well stainless-steel hose clamps for free from work. She's bringing 30 ft of Tygon and 6 hose clamps! That's nearly $90 worth of tubing! Certainly that will be enough. :D

Since I won't have to buy tubing, I'll be getting two double shrouds to attach 4x120mm fans like you said initially Him: 2x120mm intake in the front and 2x120mm exhaust to the right of the heatercore. Only worry left is case modding. Hopefully they will be simply screws as I don't have the tools (not even a drill). I'll have to wait for my cousin to bring his toolkit should there be any modifications beyond a socket wrench or a screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom