AMD's 3GHz Athlon 64-FX 'due Q1 2006'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
A short article on Tom's Hardware Guide.

AMD will upgrade its Athlon 64 X2 and 64-FX processor lines early next year - potentially the chips' final Socket 939 incarnations before the company debuts its M2 interconnect in Q2 2006.

The FX-59, clocked to 3GHz, will ship in Q1 2006. So will a 2.6GHz dual-core Athlon X2, possibly with a 5000+ rating, according to AMD roadmaps. The two chips are derived from AMD's 'San Diego' and 'Toledo' cores, respectively.

The article links to a Register article, the source of the news. The Register one has a lot of juicy info on several upcoming releases.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/amd_roadmap_05-06/

dang, new chips already? this kind of pisses ppl off who bought top of the line technology, cuz it gets old so fast... AMD rules, Intel is still having trouble "tieing their shoes"...haven't heard much from them at all lately

I plan on upgrading to a 64-bit 939 system when I get the money for my next upgrade. Maybe I'll shoot for one of those hot babies. (If I have the money by then; probably not.)
It worries me, though, that the way I upgrade my computer is that I end up getting decent equipment near the end of it's lifespan, so once I get my 939 board, cpu, and new vid card, it will only be months before it is thrown out for the new socket.
I guess that's just how it goes, though, eh?

shoot... just buy something you're happy with that runs some of your more favorite games and stick with it for a few years. If you buy something top of the line at any time, it normally will run all applications for at least a FEW years. no need to upgrade all the time.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
no need to upgrade all the time.

Do you not love your computer? i dont know about you but i seem to drop every dollar i have into my computer. In the last year alone ive gone through 3 video cards, 2 motherboards, 2 processors, and 2 power supplies. i dont think i understand your reasoning, but then again i think i have a problem spending money on computer stuff.

intel is coming out with revisions for there dual core processors very soon here but for new sockets prolly not to soon since 775 its quite new and 75% of intel user still have 4xx so no need to just raise the fsb of the new systems intel will keep amd in check performance wize cause they will own amd sooner or later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom