I want to change OSs, should I use Win XP's DELETE PARTITION or ZERO-FILL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket1406

In Runtime
I've never used Zero-Fill before and really don't know what it is (except for the fact that it makes all the sectors say 0 or something).

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/d...llfmt_what.html

I read that, should I download it and do it.

Or is the Win XP Delete Partition good enough?

***Note: I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my computer. It has major lag/slowdown issues.

Also, does this delete TOO MUCH?

Like, will I still be able to immediately INSTALL WINDOWS XP after I Zero-Fill (I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T DELETE THE BIOS OR SOMETHING)

well, if you remove the partition all your info will be inaccessible (without special 3rd party programs). After that you will need to format and then reload the system.

Either should work. Zero Fill will not erase your BIOS, it is not located on your hard drive. The difference will be the time involved, and whether you can recover the data after erasing the partition. Note that you probably wouldn't be able to recover it anyway once you've installed something over the deleted partition, and that it shouldn't matter anyway since you seem to intend to wipe out all the data on the partition anyway.

I don't think Zero Fill is necessary here.

agreed, zero fill is not needed. XP cd will fdisk, format and reload for you. Just tell it to do a fresh install instead of a fix/reinstall it should ask what partition to delete chose it, delete it and recreate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom