When you want to permenantly to erase files from harddrive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamSneed612

Beta member
How can you do it because I tried to clean my pc and I came up on erased files that cant work anymore but still shows up in folder i for got where it came from.....

I wanted to know if anybody know how to erase a file completely instead of just right clicking and selecting delete and goin to recycling it...

There is a program called Eraser. It makes several passes over the spot where your file is located so there is no trace left of it on your drive.

If it's anything but a SeaGate, you can bang it on the desk a few times. If it's a SeaGate, you can try using a sledgehammer.

I think he is still trying to keep the drive but hey a sledgehammer will always work. After hes done with that he can use some duct tape and try to use it again. AhhhDuct Tape the universal fixer.

you can permentantly erase a hard drive i think by overwriting it with random bits 7 times.. in Partition Magic, there is a secure erase, very hard to recover.. then Norton has something along the lines of that too..

no, you don't need a magnet or anything that will damage one's hard drive to "permentantly" erase one's harddrive.. just need to over write it enough times so that any ghost file remains is killed..

You look for a technique called Reformat. Nothing can be recovered from I reformat but as mentioned above a magnet also works...

uh..no, a reformat leaves all data there, its just ready to be overwritten with new data is all, why do you think it works so fast? most good recovery software will recover anything from a reformat.

you have to overwrite the data, 7 times is the department of defense minimum standard, 1 overwrite will prevent software recovery, 7 times prevents hardware recovery, if the fbi wanted info off your drive they will get most of it if you dont use at least 7, 35 is the guttman standard, all take much longer than reformat though.

nuke it and boot is a freeware but will do your whole drive, eraser will work in windows and just overwrites deleted data and free space, likely all you'll need.

www.iolo.com has drive scrubber, 30 day trial but you only need it once and it works fast.

if you destroy a hard drive the fbi recommended you drill a hole through it, a magnet is not sufficient as its still rotatable and hardware recovery will get alot of data off it, same with burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom