R520 w/ 'only' 24 pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
A couple of days old now, but I just found this interesting tidbit over on NVNews forums:-

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2487&s=1

The following ststemant is in no way intended as fuel for a (yet another) ATI vs nVidia flaming war, but: If this is true, then by the time ATI get around to releasing their proposed 512MB VRAM/32+ pipeline monster, nVidia will inevitably be on their way towards GeForce 8 anyway.

Wow, I thought their yield was around 10% at 24 and 1% at 32.

If they were to sacrafice some clockspeed, they could use the 110nm Low-K process

Currently there is no official word on the Pipes. We do not know. Theinquiererer was even speculating 16 pipes. We do not know, so we should not speculate.

Although VR-Zone is a highly trusted website and I read their reviews all the time.

EDIT: 16 lol. Why did I think 20? There is on such thing :) Btw the 16 number was posted way back at teh beginning of july for inquierer

LOL, this is why all the "900 series is going to pwn the 7800" was a case of premature ejaculation.

The damn thing might end up being released with 16 pipes lol :laughing:

I haven't really been following this card, but I have a friend who swears by ATI, whereas I'm partial to nvidia myself, but yeah that's another story....anywho, he was saying that they've gotten all the pipelines to work, because that was a problem in the beginning, BUT, the rate of wafers coming out that actually work is really low.....about 50% of the cards produced are dead.....normal standards is about 1/1000 and they are sporting 500/1000 being dead lol.....sooo we'll just see if they can even get the damn thing working like it should

I don't even care and don't know why people insist on "swearing" by a company or whatever other bollocks fanboys believe in, I could care less what company puts out the product, I only care about which product is better. The name has no bearing on my decision.

That said, all this speculation junk gets old so quickly. Just wait for the damn crap to come out

Some people like me and you gaara would be particular to ATI because it benefits our local economy so much.

I said I'm only 'partial' to nvidia :p

I had even been thinking a few months ago when the G70 and R520 both were just a 'dream of the future' and I was thinking then that ATI might come out with a better card then.

All I can say now is I'm disappointed with the 7800 so I hope that ATI puts out a crazy powerful card.

gaara said:
I don't even care and don't know why people insist on "swearing" by a company or whatever other bollocks fanboys believe in, I could care less what company puts out the product, I only care about which product is better. The name has no bearing on my decision.

That said, all this speculation junk gets old so quickly. Just wait for the damn crap to come out

i completly agree, i'm not a fanboy, i'll just get the "bang for the buck" card...

btw, the x900PRO is gonna have 24 pipes, and the x900XT is gonna have 32, same like the x800's, the PRO sucked and had lower pipes..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom