upgrading computer, would like some thoughts on hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantheman12588

Baseband Member
ok im finally gonna upgrade my computer...arg..and i have about 300 to spend and im a pretty big gamer so ram and vid card is important to me obviously

heres my setup now
amd duron 1.2 ghz
256ddr pc2700
geforce 4 mx 440 64mb
ecs k7s5a MB <---im not 100% sure thats the right model it might be k7s5d is there is one that is..lol
80 gig hdd
windows xp pro

erm..i think thats about it..its got on board sound so yeah..anyway i was wondering what i should do with the 300
i want to keep my hdd and os but im willing to change the others
i was thinking of going to

512md ddr (buying another 256 stick)
then geforce fx 5600 128mb or maybe a radeon 9600 pro?
then im 100% clueless on the motherboard and processor,
i was also wondering what your guy's thoughts on the geforce fx 5600 is..

thanks for your help. if there is anything else you need or want to know email me at iksk8r@hotmail.com

www.newegg.com . concentrate more money on the video card. video cards have built in memory which is used primarily rather than relying on system memory for most operation.

in fact i would recommend not getting anymore system memory, just focus on video card. go a few models up from fx5600 or equivalent ATI card. don't consider mobo or CPU, you wont have enough left to buy them.

I mostly go to swap meets where you can get parts for less
If it were me upgrading that I would stick in another 256/512MB RAM
if you want to upgrade your M/B and CPU I would suggest the P4 2.4GHZ or AMD Athlon XP 2500 (which are not too expensive now) with the Asus P4P800 or A7N8X - it would depend on whether you like P4's or AMD's better
for your video card the GF4 is pretty good but if you want to upgrade I would say go with the Radeon 9600 Pro

yeah id reformat everything so thats not a prob..but i was looking around and i just saw somewhere it said that the
Asus A7V8X-X Socket A Motherboard uses the pc 2100 ddr ram and i have 256mb of pc 2700 would it still work in that mobo or what?

i think im gonna get this combo

Asus A7V8X-X Socket A Motherboard with Athlon XP 2600+ Processor
its $160
that good?

I have used Price Watch and had very good luck!! I have also had very good luck with Newegg.com. I tend to use Newegg more often. Newegg is straight forward. In Pricewatch you have to make sure to read the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom