Help, Help, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnel3543

Beta member
My home computer is not starting up properly. I turn on the computer the Asus globe comes up then when the Xp screen that has the bar that runs on the bottom of it just keeps running. I can start the computer in safe mode but not sure what to do next? can someone please help......

have you added any new hardware latley? As bizarre a question as this might sound it is actually relevant.

Recently i added my 7th IDE HDD When i did my machine would do exactly the same. The pc would not crash or freeze in any way, it wold just continue to sit there with the line moving accross the screen from left to right... When i removed the 7th drive the pc booted fine? So i tried adding a DVDRom and the same problem again, so i tried a different configuration, and still it happended again. I eventuall looked this up and thought it was a power issue. However i hav a 550w power supply and that is ample for 7 HDD.

My point is if you have just made a recent hard ware configuration change make sure you undo the change and check again. For example if you have added a slave drive and have the jumpers incorrect this can some times cause this prolem etc etc etc.

If not never mind was just an idea as i have this problem with adding 8 devices on my 4 IDE channels.

I am using a cheap virus scan that i recieved from sbc...can i go buy norton and install it in safe mode?

TheElise said:
have you added any new hardware latley? As bizarre a question as this might sound it is actually relevant.

Recently i added my 7th IDE HDD When i did my machine would do exactly the same. The pc would not crash or freeze in any way, it wold just continue to sit there with the line moving accross the screen from left to right... When i removed the 7th drive the pc booted fine? So i tried adding a DVDRom and the same problem again, so i tried a different configuration, and still it happended again. I eventuall looked this up and thought it was a power issue. However i hav a 550w power supply and that is ample for 7 HDD.

My point is if you have just made a recent hard ware configuration change make sure you undo the change and check again. For example if you have added a slave drive and have the jumpers incorrect this can some times cause this prolem etc etc etc.

If not never mind was just an idea as i have this problem with adding 8 devices on my 4 IDE channels.

No have not installed anything, shut the computer down on friday went out of town and now this on Sunday night....

tunnel3543 said:
I am using a cheap virus scan that i recieved from sbc...can i go buy norton and install it in safe mode?

go into safemode with networking so you can update it when you install it. uninstall your other av first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom