Build Your Own Tivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spritz2523

Solid State Member
Ive been looking into building my own MythBox. Its something i saw on Kevin Roses new indy tech show Systm . All you need is a PC running linux, a video for linux card and cable. i have everything but the video for linux card. If anyone knows where to purchase one, or better ideas for building your own Personal Video Recorder(one that has nothing to do with windows home entertainment) i would be forever in your debt.

well a pvr is different from a tivo
this is my pvr http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500698.html
works just like a tivo. has a tv cradle which you just put the mp4 player in and select video recorder and it will record whatever comes out of the tv. if you want any more information on this i can supply it i know the ins and outs of this so feel free to ask.

not sure about this linux thing but it seems like you want something like a desktop or some sort like that
http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500595.html
same thing but its a pda running of linux so kinda like a mini computer.

yes i meant pvr. what i want is something that will be inexpensive to build, and to do it myself. buy an inexpensive capture card, get a free distro of some pvr software and just do it. this will be the first mythbox im building. when i see how this works and i build more in the future i will possibly rake out 700 dollars for quircky gizmos. for now id like my desktop as my pvr put it on a network burn what i want on my mac just enjoy my creation.

you can get a used TV card that will work just fine for about $20

software, other than a basic linux install add:
mplayer
vcr
xawtv
mythTV
and all the needed libraries and codecs for the above, that will give you a wide selection of software to try out, mplayer or vcr both do a really good job though

you will need lots of disk space, and a PC faster than 1Ghz

TV tuner card I got from matrixsurplus.com, but other places have used ones as well, the V4L kernel module for linux supports a fair number of TV tuners, but check the list before buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom