Need some Education..On the verge of building my own PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyCzWiLLz

Solid State Member
Well, I currently have a AMD 2400+ and 512 PC2700 DDR Ram, and 60gb HD. Which I think is starting to slow down alot due to all the crap I have on the computer ( only 1gb of space left ). I'm not that educated about computers, as you can see I'm new to the forum. I am going to be selling my PC including the monitor. So far I have no clue where to start in building my own computer. I was looking for a tutorial but I couldn't seem to locate it. Here are some questions I have.

What exactly do I need to build my own PC?
Where is the best place to purchase computer components?
Which company is best for each item for the computer, RAM, motherboard, video card etc.?

I do have more but I don't really want to post them maybe I can find out on my own, I wouldn't want to sound too demanding now. I am familiar with computers but not enough to understand some threads that I was reading just recently. I am 16 years old and not financially stable but I will be looking to put out approxiamately $800.00 at most, but perfering to spend $400-$600 dollars on my new PC. I was looking for a new monitor instead of a CRT this time I was thinking of a LCD. I was at Best Buy before making this decision on getting a new computer and the LG L1980U caught my eye. But I wasn't sure was it good and was LG a good company and suggestions ?

And last for not least, this as been a long first post. And I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to guide me to the right direction. Thanks in advance.

You need a screw driver

Optional: A anti static wristband, but you could just touch a metal part of the case at regular intervals.

For components you will need a CPU, a motherboard, RAM (preferable 2 sticks for dual channel) a GPU, a hard drive, a cd rom, a PSU and a case.

www.Newegg.com is a good place to buy from.

CPU is dependant on what you are going to do, if you are going to game alot AMD 64 if you are going to do alot of video editing/ de -coding en coding than Intel, if you are going to just surf the internet, what ever is cheaper. If you are goign AMD than a DFI motherboard if you are going Intel, than ASUS. Anyone will do for ram if you are not overclocking.

Nvidia for GPU due to Pixel shader model 3 support. The 6600gt will fit nicely into that price range. eVGA or Leadtek for the GPU. XFX are good if you are overclocking.

Antec/Thermaltake/OCZ/Enermax for PSU

Seagate of Western Digital for hdd.

I would stick with CRT with that budget, due to they are cheaper and better picture quality - unless you get a very expensive one. If you get a LCD you will be in danger of getting ded pixels as well.

oh, wow. thanks for being very thorough and detailed at the same time. and also for the memory, I was searching Newegg earlier and I was looking for some OCZ memory since I saw alot of people perfering to use them building their own computer. But when I looked it up there were so many different options from which to buy from. I was thinking about overclocking but since I'm really new to it I might decide to do research about overclocking before buying the parts.

OCZ platinum rev. 2 are great overclockers out of the OCZ range. As I said if you are not overclocking you will be wasting money on the RAM. If you are only going to overclock a little twinmos are meant to be quite good - while still not using up your whole budget.

Any specific model numbers for the RAM and also any suggestions on the Motherboard? I'm searching and all it comes up with are all these different letters. LOL man at times like this you wonder what the hell were you(i) thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom