good mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should get a different cooler if you use Artic Silver. I've done it before and it took about 30 minutes to get the heatsink on correctly (which takes about 5 seconds with the stock thermal pad)

If you do it anyway (for single core) Carefully scrape the thermal layer off the heatsink and processor w/ a credit card. (use rubbing alcohol). Then squeeze about a pea size amount of it on the center of the processor (location of die). Then slowly put the heatsink back on and make sure no air gets in between the two.

abit might be a better way if you don't need all the expensive things that that mobo has. abit is sposed to be second only to dfi as far as i know

It is Intel, and ASUS is one of the best for Intel. Abit tried to make overclocking easy - and they succeded in making that, as you can't overclock well with them.

Anyway stick with the ASUS with Intels.

Stock hs for Intels are meant to be one of the best avaliable air cooled coolers.

For adding the AS5 I did the same as turtile said, but you only need a blob of artic silver 5 the size of a grain of rice to cover the heatsink nicely.

Use isopropyl or anything above 90% alcohol to clean the heatsink and CPU fully.

Use the cloth that you clean sun glasses with as well to clean the CPU and heatsink - anything lint free.

Edit: - I don't want to scare you, but when you take the heatsink off, the CPU may be attatched to it, due to the thermal pad. To try and prevent this, put your PC under alot of stress, and make sure it gets hot, so it will warm up the thermal pad so the heatsink will come off nicely, but it may still be stuck on the end of the heatsink, so when removing it, make sure that you lift upwards, and not at an angle.

i dont remember there being a thermal pad but ill watch out for that and the main reason im going with this board is because it has so many ide ports that is the main reason so i can have 2 hard drives and 2 cd drives all ide cause its hell to mix ide and sata cause i have tried it and it didnt work right soo is there an abit with 3xide's that anyone know about?

I just did my new build and put some arctic silver 5, man this stuff owns. I just put it on the underside of my heatsink, and it lowered the processor temp. by about 5C

well im gonna do as said befor with a rice size amount in the corner and let the heat pad smooth it over the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom