6600gt overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok my gpu is like 40c idle and 35C ambient and 65 under load
i have great case circulation
4x80mm fans and a 120mm fan on the side

Calzinger said:
My 6800 GT hit a peak of 90C in B2 one time. Is that just down to it being a more powerful and cooling-hungry card?
Well, it seems like it can just really depend. My 6800GT would load at 90+, but others would only load in the upper 70's with stock cooling. Sometimes it just seems like the luck of the draw.

I ended up getting the NV5 and it lowered my load temps to the mid 70's.

idiotec said:
Well, it seems like it can just really depend. My 6800GT would load at 90+, but others would only load in the upper 70's with stock cooling. Sometimes it just seems like the luck of the draw.

I ended up getting the NV5 and it lowered my load temps to the mid 70's.
I guess the OC was contributing to the high temps. Were you running stock when you got 90C?

It actually does some to be a bit of "luck of the draw". I ran BF2 again with some 54 bots (well beyond the game's stable limit of 16) and I only hit a max of 84 C. There are probably plenty of factors like ambient temperature and such.

Hmpf, didn't realize those aftermarket GPU coolers actually make a significant difference. They just looked hot. :p Still though, that fan must be hella loud, eh?

Heck, you could spend a cactus load of money and watercool it. Get some idle of like 42 C and a load of 46 C. The delta between idle and load is just so far reduced.

Were you able to OC any further with that arctic cooler?

@timmer
Your case cooling is adequate. I think the artifacts were simply down to the card reaching is crap-out limit at that temperature. The random reboot was likely to be overheating. You did get a fantastic OC with air cooling. Be happy! :D

Hmpf, didn't realize those aftermarket GPU coolers actually make a significant difference. They just looked hot. Still though, that fan must be hella loud, eh?

Heck, you could spend a cactus load of money and watercool it. Get some idle of like 42 C and a load of 46 C. The delta between idle and load is just so far reduced.

Were you able to OC any further with that arctic cooler?

It is actually quieter than stock ;) It is this one here:
http://www.xoxide.com/arctic-cooling-nv-silencer-5-revision-2.html

I can hit 430/1200 now. I never even tried that high prior to getting the cooler due to temps. I don't run it at those frequencies 24/7 just due to precaution. There is really no need. I get zero lag on my games at high settings as it is. If a more demanding game comes out where I need it I'll crank it up further.

That's is a damn good buy actually. That's a significant OC there for an air cooler. I can only hit 420/1120 on my stock cooler. I'm shooting for around 500/1500 with water cooling. It has been done before, but a lot of people here at TF are doubting it. Then again, the cost is obviously significantly different. Just to WC your GPU, you're looking at $50 water block and $2.50 for additional Tygon tubing,

Do they have any other aftermarket GPU coolers? That arctic one is the only one I have seen.

I'm shooting for around 500/1500 with water cooling. It has been done before, but a lot of people here at TF are doubting it.
LOL, I think I am one of the doubters :p

Now, not that it can't be done, but just not on stock voltage. To get that kind of OC you will need to do a volt mod. There are hacked BIOS's that up the voltage now though, so you don't necessarily need to do a hardware mod anymore. But if you do a volt mod, you could possibly hit that kind of OC.

Do they have any other aftermarket GPU coolers? That arctic one is the only one I have seen.
I know Zalman has one as well...

Well this guy who hit 1500 on the memory was on stock voltage. All he did was simply hook up his water rig and OC it in coolbits.

ok i have been fooling with it now and i got these speeds
570/1.20 and very little artifacts and i think it was up around 77C is it artifacting cause of heat?

Yeah, likely to be heat and the card simply saying "I can do it you stupid idiot! Throw down the settings!". You will notice that artifacting will usually occur after a good time of use, hence the possibility that it is heat-related.

But jeez, that is a damn good OC. But you are getting artifacts, eh? Not much sense in a high OC if everything is inside-out.

Calzinger said:
Well this guy who hit 1500 on the memory was on stock voltage. All he did was simply hook up his water rig and OC it in coolbits.
Yeah, but somewhere around 450 seems to be the max core speed with stock voltage. And that is a GOOD max.

Who knows though, maybe you'll make a liar out of me :p

ok i have been fooling with it now and i got these speeds
570/1.20 and very little artifacts and i think it was up around 77C is it artifacting cause of heat?
It doesn't necessarily artifact just due to heat. It happens when it is unstable and therefore makes errors in its calculations. You do not want ANY artifacts. Bump it down until you have no artifacts and you have your max OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom