Multicore/threaded games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Something Sexy

In Runtime
Not sure if this has been posted yet but there is a great article from geek.com about Havok releasing their physics engine to support multi cores and threads.

http://geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Jul/bga20050715031381.htm

posted 9:58am EST Fri Jul 15 2005 - submitted by Matthew

BLURB
Havok, the well-known physics middleware company, announced that it is developing new software technology to ease development with forthcoming multi-core and multi-threaded development platforms. The Havok HydraCore technology (PDF) aims to help developers distribute tasks in games using the Havok physics system over multiple cores or threads. The aim is to offer a single solution that allows for better development on multiple core AMD and Intel chips, as well as for the forthcoming PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. Developers will be given the control to assign computational threads using the software based on the hardware at their disposal. The system even supports single-threaded environments to ensure that the software can be used regardless of the platform you are working on, and, in the case of the PC, to ease legacy support for older systems. As I am sure I have said in the past, development for next-gen consoles is not going to be a walk in the park. Middleware is going to be key to pretty much all developers, and this is reflected in the amount of engine licenses being bought by large developers around the world. This offering from Havok was necessary to allow its physics system to be truly next-gen. Utilizing multiple cores and threads will allow developers to use more physics in their games, improve the effects and animations, and (hopefully) seamlessly port it to multiple platforms. Expect other middleware vendors to start touting multi-core and -thread features soon. Thanks to TotalVideoGames for the heads-up.

This is great news for the gaming industry.

Doesn't the Source engine recognize two processors? when I run it, it says in console and recognizes two figuratve cores on my P4 HT.

woot. 800th post!

Hopefully this will speed up the development cycles.

Which I'm assuming will grow with the next-gen console because they will be some huge and complex.

woot6600GT said:
Doesn't the Source engine recognize two processors? when I run it, it says in console and recognizes two figuratve cores on my P4 HT.

woot. 800th post!

Recognizes but does not use.

what do you mean it is not there?

HT tricks windows into thinking 2 cpu's are present. Making windows send 2 threads. HT acts like a traffic cop, stops 1 thread to let 1 thru a little bit, stops that thread to let the other one go..... and so on and so forth.

HT is logical, it maybe not be phyisical but it still can be utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom