Dual channel and ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBerger

Baseband Member
Ok so my motherboard is a chaintech vnf4 ultra. And i also have 2x512 of kingston valu ram, and another 512 kingston in my old comp. now, first off, what is the placement to get dual channel? is it 1 in slot 1, and 1 in slot 3? or slot 1 and slot 2. also is it possible to stick in my third stick and have 1.5 gig of ram and still get dual channel? if so whats the placement? thanks

I don't know for sure, but the impression I get is that you use ordinary ddr ram, and the speed increases due to motherboard. It has 128 bit connections, allowing 2 channels of 64 bit communication. So each stick, on it's own, is utilizing the dual channel.

Someone else please untie my tongue.

Ryan

That board should have color coded slots. You put each 512 stick in a slot of the same color. And dual channel requires 2 of the exact same type/kind of RAM. The 2 512 sticks would work in dual channel, and that extra one would just add on, but wouldn't be dual channel.

i dont think u need 2 exact same memory i belive that false cuase i have a cosair xms series with a value kingston and it works in dual channel.

You just need to have the same density on the chips and also the same capacity. You don't need the same memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom