Comp for College? Desk/Lap Top? Apple or Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are going to be doing simple things like homework and music i would just get a nice laptop. you can get a Pentium M 1.6ghz, 512mb ram and a 60gb hard drive for $1100 and then just get some nice speakers since you like music. 60gb should be plenty. Laptops are also more convienient and take up way less space. So if you dont play games and you are just the average user who likes music i would say laptop. You wont need anything special or expensive if your just doing average things.

Well I'm not only listening to music, I'm recording music with Reaktor, ACID, Cubase, etc. So is a laptop a good choice for recording purposes, that is if I upgrade the sound card of course.

That depends on the hardware you are willing to use for recording, I doubt a laptop would come with 24bit recording but I don't do laptops so I wouldn't know!

Creative do loads of versions of the Audigy2 range now. There's an external USB version and I've even seen a PC card version just for laptops. You will have to look at some reviews to find out how reliable these are though.

Here's a link for the PC card version.
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769

EDIT:
Oh yea I forgot to metion, Creative customer support are pretty dismal. I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and haven't heard nothing yet. This is compared to Netgear who replied the next day!

Yeah, I'm thinking desktop now--It will be best for recording and will still suit my school needs. I was looking at the ECHO MIA card and it seems to fit in my price range as well as my recording needs.

Oh and FYI: Hardware I use-- Korg MicroKorg, Tascam 4-Track, Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine, Various guitars.

You can def get a good pentium M laptop with 1GB ram, 1.8 GHZ processor, dvd/cd rw, 5 pounds and two batteries for about 850 dollars if you upgarde yourself. Check out www.slickdeals.com and type in DEll. Go to the coupons and you'll be amazed at the deals you can get. (750 off 1499). Btw, a 1.8 GHZ pentium M has around the same processing power as A 2.8-3.2 GHZ pentium 4 depending on what kind of applications you are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom