computer is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Beta member
I built a system about 8 months ago and has run fine until now. I was turning it on a few days ago and I got nothing. Well the fans come on and such but there is no activity. I get nothing on the monitor and no beeps to let me know that it is booting. I know the ram is good because I tried it in another system and it runs fine. I am guessing a blown mobo or cpu. What is the best way to diagnose the prob?

ACS Elitegroup mobo (forgot which model)
Athalon 1800
512 ddr

take everything out of the case, except the CPU, PSU, vidcard, and ram. then try it. then try another video card, PCI would be best. if you get video from PCI then it's either the AGP or the video card. Test card in another machine.
if you can, use another mobo to test the proccessor, or take it to a shop. Also, you can get a PSU tester for a few bucks and use that to verify that the PSU is providing the power to all the spots. You could have a bad +/- 12 that would cause you some headaches...
good luck

first i would suspect the power supply. usually the first thing to go. Look and see if the power supply has dirty fans. Also would bring the computer to minimum configuration . Ram vid card cpu, no drives or roms. just see if you can get power. Could be a bad pci card locking up the whole system. The min config will help you rule out a lot of possibilities.

if the fans come on then the power supply shuld be good.
if there is no activity the HDD could be bad.

I tried another video card(it was an agp though) and it still did not work so it is not likely that it is a bad video card. I think I will try the cpu in another mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom