HUGE problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
Here is the sequence of events:
I download AVAST from download.com
I proceed with setup, and restart my computer and KABLOOEY!!!
My OS no longer works it seems, I am presented with a Blue Screen (the infamous blue screen of death?) that reads:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen , restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
check for viruses on your computer. Remove any new hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHSDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

I am so upset about this guys, I don't know what to do. Windows wont even load completely...I can get my background loaded (after a really long wait) but no icons or the taskbar, just the background. I can get in task manager. I tried running explore.exe and it says that process does not exist or something. I tried installing an updated version of XP and even a new install and I still have the same shitty problem.
I need some serious, serious help here guys, please.

P.S. I did have one virus at the time (that I know of) I had it for a little while, I hadn't gotten to delete it at the time of this disaster. Everything went to shit after I downloaded AVAST, thats all I know.

try hit f8 when boot and go into safe mode to clean out virus and do other stuff suggested.. and try uninstall AVAST while ur at it :D

there *might* be an option to boot to last known good configuration, i'm not sure, if there is, try that..

hey furtivefelon, that seems to have worked thanks a lot brother.
but now I seem to have a new, much more minor problem. Whenever I restart my computer unless I choose to boot up XP Home Edition when, well, booting up it automatically goes into windows setup and inevitably comes to the afforementioned blue screen...

I beleive that after install AVAST asks if you want to scedule a boot time scan. Did you do that? If so, that might be the probelm, though I can't imagine why.

So far you have done (after avast)
1.Safemode uninstall of avast
2. Afterwards, windows did not load properly
3. Updated windows
4. Reinstalled windows

As I see it, if you actually reinstalled windows. there should not be any more problems, especially if you reformated during that install.
I think the windows installer should delete any refrence to itself once it has finished installeing, so I don't know what caused your new probelm. However, start>run>"msconfig" [enter]>boot tab (I think)> select MS home

I'm on a public computer right now , so I don't have the rights to check out what I just said, but have a look and post back.

thanks I'll try that, but, so you know, I dont think any of my previous attempts to reinstall windows were successful

hey digitaloracle, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I open the general tab of msconfig and just chose normal startup and that seems to have worked. Now I just hoped there's nothing f'ed up going on behind the scenes. And I just wish I knew how this all happened in the first place.

Try this:

Start>Run>Type MSCONFIG>boot.ini tab>Check all boot paths, click ok to remove it if it found something, and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom