Need a VERY CHEAP gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should at least look at what I posted? just subtract 40 dollars off the EVGA 6800AGP and get the 6600GT. Then use that money for the case. Total is 526, shipped but no tax. This deal is good only if you get the same advertisement as I do though. The ram is only pc3200 at my location, which is Whitestone Ny. i'm not sure about other locations though.

Okay, change the case to w/e you want, get ocz ram, get a ocz powerstream psu or better. That would mean an increase of your $500 budget by at least 300, because without case/psu was already $100 with ocz ram and a decnet case and psu would cost another $200. So you would need at least $800 for a decent machine to oc. Than theres custom water cooling/or w/e....
Roger

just dont even bother buying a pc with 500 dollars get another job
wait
save money
buy a new super pc

Alright guys, dont flame my thread. I can spend about $600 probably. And as far as overclocking, I just want to do this:

Get my 500/900 6600GT to about 520+/900+

Get my 3000+ to about 2.0 Ghz or maybe a little more, nothing huge

About OC'ing RAM, I know jack about that.

And btw, I just did a build on Newegg, and w/ everything I wanted it came to $556 dollars w/ shipping and tax, and it can run BF2, HL2 beautifully. So please don't say you can't get a good build for cheap. I can get like 5 80mm case fans for like $25 bucks.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K-128
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169

$586 without case/psu/windows. Do you need os? As for case/psu.

Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-57
ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply-57
3x Antec LED80XFAN 80mm Blue LED Light Cooling Fan-24
Total $725

Stock cooling should do for your oc. This is the bare minimum, even for your ocing. The Aspire case and psu already aren't top-of the line. The DFI, well if you want to get another motherboard, still you won't be saving much.

Counter-Strike said:
Alright guys, dont flame my thread. I can spend about $600 probably. And as far as overclocking, I just want to do this:

Get my 500/900 6600GT to about 520+/900+

Get my 3000+ to about 2.0 Ghz or maybe a little more, nothing huge

About OC'ing RAM, I know jack about that.

And btw, I just did a build on Newegg, and w/ everything I wanted it came to $556 dollars w/ shipping and tax, and it can run BF2, HL2 beautifully. So please don't say you can't get a good build for cheap. I can get like 5 80mm case fans for like $25 bucks.

Well this is completely different from what you originally wanted. The OC you are doing there is incredibly minor and can easily be done with the stock cooling. It sure as heck isn't going "overclocking like hell" like you originally said.

By the way, I don't recall anyone saying that you can't get a good build for cheap. I remember saying that it's impossible to get a highly OC'able computer for $500, which is a good deal true.

But looks like a great build to me for that price.

Wow, people are still pointing to the retail 3000+ venice..... Anyways, overclocking is not only for the people with money. People on budgets can overclock too and overclock well. Counter-strike, def check out what I posted, as if the venice is good enougn, you can get 2.4-2.6 ghz, which is pretty good. You can def build a ocing gamign comp for 500 dollars, especially if you know where to look. Good luck man. Ow ya, you guys have to get it into you heads that you don't need ocing ram, and also you don't need a 520 watt power supply for every single build. And also, sometimes newegg isn't the cheapest place around.

If you really want to stick to your budget, then there is a 2nd option. Get a 2800+ Sempron for 90 bucks. Get a socket 939 motherboard, like the Epox 250GB for 72 bucks. Overclock it to 2.4-2.5 GHZ(very doable). It will perform at around the level of a 2.2 GHZ socket 939 venice, so its not that bad. This will save you around 40 bucks from my pervoius build. You can use it to get 1 GB of ram instead of 512. Def, if you have 500 bucks and cant get over, then don't bother with 939, as upgrading will just be a waste.

Thanks, hacp. I have decided to get this:

AMD 3000+ Venice
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC 939 ATX MoBo
1GB (2x512) Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 RAM
eVGA 6600GT 128MB AGP 8X
Aspire X-Gear w/400W PSU

Only thing is, I have heard BF2 runs better on cards w/ 256MB RAM as opposed to 128MB. Should I still stick w/ the 6600GT or go w/ a retarded 9800XT or something?

And well of an OC can he expect on a low budget? I think 200mhz is basically given.

He changed his mind. Apparently he doesn't want to OC a whole lot, making a $500 build very very reasonable.

Hacp, give me an example of a system under $500 that can get a good OC. I really see it is next to impossible given the part's inability to function past their stock. Save money on a PSU, but turn up speeds on other parts and it may crap out. I haven't seen ANY sort of value system get a decent OC. And by decent, I mean a good noticeable difference, not some lousy 200mhz that is basically a given OC.

The point is, most people will not get a ridiculous overclock on any sort of stock cooling. You could build a $500 system and add a $200 water rig and get a very decent OC. But in a total budget of $500, a dedicated cooling system seems out of the question.

This is besides the topic anyway. Counter-Strike here has a good build that will OC a little and that is expected. It's very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom