power help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xStevey_Bx

Baseband Member
I nead some good advice on my current situation. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ and a XFX 6800GT sitting in my room waiting for my DFI lanparty nf4 sli Dr to come.

What I want to know is will my 350W psu cut it? Would it be safe to connect the mobo up to my computer and stick in the components. I dont want to fry them becuase as you know they do cost money, alot at that.

What would be a good psu to buy if this is not a good idea, I am looking to spend under 40 UK pounds. http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=18188 is this any good, would it fit my mobo beacuase im not too sure about the whole number of pins thing.

that i think would just be cutting it, i dont even know if that would work but if its a cheap psu it wont work

Nop, do NOT get that PSU from the link up above.

For the 6800GT, you need a PSU which is what is called.... > ATX 2.0.

This high end graphics card NEEDS a psu with 2.0.

I have a Tagan 380W.

I have the Leadtek 6800GT, DFI Lanparty ultra SLI-DR blah blah blah, the best, and most expensive out atm.

And guess what, i also have the 3200 like you.

I did the psu calculator, and it said I was using about 318W or so.

Obviously, because I have the 380, it should be fine ,( not for overclocking though..)

Anyway.

Mr DJChris is mr braniac at al comp stuff, as are pretty much most of the high end posters on this forum. Im sure they will get back to you about this.

Btw, I also live in UK like you, and just built my pc about a week ago.

UK Sucks for this kinda stuff, not like newegg.com where you have about 200 more items to choose from, for each item you are looking for.

The Tagan 380W which i bought is at overclockers.co.uk. It is a good PSU for 44 pounds, inc tax.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Tagan.html

I would recommend this..

Its pretty much cheap for Britain, and good quality..

well the make should say on the psu itself. i think u need something like 26A on the 12v rail, just give us the model and who makes it

Don't skimp out on your PSU. With a power-hungry system such as that, you do not want to run any sort of risk. That PSU looks to be very borderline. It may work, but it could definitely crap out with an undercurrent or overcurrent. Brand name PSUs usually have protection against that to prevent damaging your hardware.

I'm not sure of the conversion rates, but you can always look for good brand PSUs within your budget. Try OCZ; the OCZ 520w Modstream is an insanely good buy. Get the OCZ 520w Powerstream for extra performance obviously for extra cash.

Some other good PSU brands are Silverstone (probably way too expensive), Antec, Thermaltake. I can't really back up those brands because I don't know how they actually perform. But I do know that the OCZ will handle anything you throw at it.

Believe me, I own one. My setup is similar to yours, and I have had absolutely no problems.

power master model - ma-350atx is the only thing i can see on it when i open the case. The computer was bought from a small computer store so i doubt that they use good components. i had a jetway mobo for pete sake before i upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom