New Mobo with nvidia chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
if my mobo supports pc3200 can i buy ram cheap value ram thats pc3700 and i wouldnt have to do the FSB:RAM ratio (5:4) so i could just up my cpu until it reaches the speed of my ram?

so i could buy really cheap valueselect ram running at watever speed, and bring my FSB to that speed, that means i wouldnt have to change by multipler cause all i would be doing is chaningn the FSB

PZEROFGH said:
so i could buy really cheap valueselect ram running at watever speed, and bring my FSB to that speed, that means i wouldnt have to change by multipler cause all i would be doing is chaningn the FSB

Your multiplier is locked, but your FSB isnt. You would increase your FSB to match what you know your RAM can handle

That RAM that you posted will be fine. It will let you OC your FSB (and therefore your CPU clock) quite nicely.

is there some how i can unlock the multipler? or is there any other mobos that have both FSB and multipler unlocked, i thought the DFI would haev both numbers unlocked

No, there is no way you can unlock your multipler. Changing the front side bus of your computer (also known as HTT on AMD K8s) is the only way to overclock. However, AMD remembered the overclockinging community when it made its processor, so it actually made the RAM dividers useful. Don't be afraid of the ram dividers. They are not evil. They are good. Also, as Elb mentioned, the DFI board is not for everyone. There are multiple settings, and it can cause a headache to overclock. For the general half decent overclocking board, there are usually two factors. How high you can take your CPU and how high you can take your ram. With the DFI board, there are soo many factors into play. The ram alone ias soo much options, 16+. You have to play with each indivudual setting to try to maximize your overclock. Even then, it might be that you have the wrong bios. Sometimes, some people get overclocks with past bioses, sometimes, they get better overclocks with current bioses. If you haven't overclocked before, and just want to have a stable overclock without spending 2 weeks on the overclock, then go with another board.

Although many people diss ASUS, the new Platinum boards have fixed many of the deluxe's problems(chipset cooler problem). People say that its the friendliest overclocker for newbies. MSI's Neo-4 series is also a good board from what I hear. Abit also has a good board in the AX8, but the only thing thats holding it back is the lack of dual core compatability. There are many other boards besides the DFI, and if you aren't the enthusiast of all enthusiasts, then it may be too much of a hasstle to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom