Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
why didnt you spend the extar 4 dollras so you could OC your cpu more without having to OC your ram to?

PZEROFGH, what do you mean? This is really my first "build" so I dont know what you mean by that.

The DDR2 Ram isn't compatible with my mobo... so I couldn't have used it anyway... ???

No one has mentioned it yet, but I've read somewhere that GDDR3 is quite expensive.

your mobo supples pc3200 ram, and if you OC your cpu you will have to OC your ram too, which it is much easier if you just buy like pc3500 so you wouldnt have to OC your ram as it is alreayd running on a faster speed, thats better so you can get yor full potential ram rather then doing the FSB:RAM ratio you can make them both even. see if you OC the cpu, and you dont OC the ram right it can lead to system crashes. if you just buy higher spped ram you wouldnt have to do that FSB:RAM ratio.

read here
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

adehh said:
No one has mentioned it yet, but I've read somewhere that GDDR3 is quite expensive.

GDDR3 is not expensive, a 6600gt agp, is about 140 with GDDr3
a pcix16 of that is about 160 so its not that expensive as most cards coming out now all have GDDR3

PZEROFGH said:
your mobo supples pc3200 ram, and if you OC your cpu you will have to OC your ram too, which it is much easier if you just buy like pc3500 so you wouldnt have to OC your ram as it is alreayd running on a faster speed, thats better so you can get yor full potential ram rather then doing the FSB:RAM ratio you can make them both even. see if you OC the cpu, and you dont OC the ram right it can lead to system crashes. if you just buy higher spped ram you wouldnt have to do that FSB:RAM ratio.

read here
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52812

So even though it says "DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)" it will support PC3500? I'd be open to that since this will be my first time trying to overclock anything.

Would this be ok?
# Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KHX3500AK2/1G - Retail

Cas Latency: 2.5
Heat Spreader: Yes
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime
Timing: 2.5-3-3-7
Voltage: 2.6V
# Model #: KHX3500AK2/1G
# Item #: N82E16820144141

I skimmed through that info quickly, I'll read through it more when I have more time.

Thanks for the tip!!!

if you buoght pc3500 or any higher it would be running at the lower speed, then you have to OC it then it would be running at pc3500 or pc3700, you might what to make sure im right cause i think i got that info off the OCing guide

PZEROFGH said:
GDDR3 is not expensive, a 6600gt agp, is about 140 with GDDr3
a pcix16 of that is about 160 so its not that expensive as most cards coming out now all have GDDR3

Currently there are no graphics cards with 512MB frame-buffer aimed at consumers. Only professional graphics cards, such as certain versions of NVIDIA Quadro or 3DlabsÂ’ products, sport 512MB frame-buffer. It is not clear whether it is enough cost-effective for graphics chips designers to vow for 512MB graphics cards, as GDDR3 memory currently used on high-end graphics products is pretty expensive.
Mueez Deen, Director of Marketing, Graphics Memory, Samsung Semiconductor.

I found one Geforce 6800 Ultra with 512MB of GDDR3 and it was priced at £500, the 256MB version at £320. Admittedly the 6600GT's are cheap I have one myself, but mainly because most of them only have 128MB of GDDR3 the 256MB versions are around £30 more.

PZEROFGH said:
if you buoght pc3500 or any higher it would be running at the lower speed, then you have to OC it then it would be running at pc3500 or pc3700, you might what to make sure im right cause i think i got that info off the OCing guide

I'm going to read that guide thoroughly. I have about a week or so before I even purchase the stuff, then however long shipping takes. So i"ll be doing plenty of reading!

Thanks again!

EDIT: You're exactly right by the way:

"Buying RAM rated at a Higher Speed
This one's the simplest thing in this entire guide If you want to raise your FSB to, say, 250MHz, just buy RAM that is rated to run at 250MHz, which would be DDR 500. The only downside to this option is that faster RAM will cost you more than slower RAM. Since overclocking your RAM is relatively simple, you might want to consider buying slower RAM and overclocking it to fit your needs. It could save you over a hundred bucks, depending on what type of RAM you need."

ati has a 512 mb card, but i read that the extra 256 doesnt really do anything, for these games out right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom