Dead battery on new MSI Mobo and malfunctioning clear cmos button

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisdomRacing

Baseband Member
Well I got an MSI Neo 4 K8N SLI motherboard a few months ago and first thing I noticed is the date and time were reset for when it was first powered up. I thought it must just be the battery needed to charge or something so though nothing of it. But today when I was overclocking I had to clear the cmos but when I did nothing happened so I tried turning off the psu and viola. But that shouldn't have worked so I guess I have a dead battery, right? And why didn't the button work? Does MSI warrant these problems?

Well, if you turned off your PSU and your CMOS reset, then it is possible that your CMOS battery is dead. It could also be a clever feature of your mobo. Some mobos will reset the BIOS to factory defaults when it senses that you have made a bad overclock config, and knows that it is so bad that it cant properly boot.

As for the button not working, I am not sure. I would try making a simple change in CMOS (like the boot order), then shutting down and pressing the CMOS reset button. Then go back into CMOS setup and see if that changed it back to the original settings. If it turns out that it doesnt reset the CMOS, then, I suppose you could send the mobo back, depending on your warrenty, etc.

Ok, this is confusing. Don't you usually shut down all power before moving the cmos jumpers to clear it off? My understanding is that moving the cmos prevents the battery from supplying power to the bios chip, and that supplying power to the mobo through an open power supply would just make moving the jumpers redundant. I may be wrong here though.

Elbatrop1: Thanks I'll try it

Hacp: Yeah but that's if you're using that method. The clear CMOS button just clears it for you so you don't have to remove the jumpers or the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom