New Mobo with nvidia chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I own the GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail, and I really like it, so I would recommend that one for you. It has proven to be stable. Also, it has a pretty good manual, and there was no problem at all setting it up.

It also is good for low- to mid-level overclocks, with the right kind of RAM (Probably RAM that uses TCCD ICs because the board can only supply about 2.8V of VDIMM, unmodded).

Ya, thats what I said. The Gigabyte board isnt great for extreme overclocking. It cant supply very high VDimm voltage, and doesnt have all of the RAM config options that the DFI has. I think the max VDIMM on my board is like 2.7 or 2.8V, while the DFI is capable of like 3.5V, I think.

so which would be a better choice, for over performance, Mild OCing, and stability, and quality, or how long that thing is going to last me

Well, like I said before: First-hand knowledge is a lot better than giving advice based on what other people say.

The DFI board you picked out will destroy the Gigabyte in higher-level overclocking. No questions. Also keep in mind that there is a huge amount of RAM timing, etc options on the DFI that can befuddle even experienced dudes. But, because of those timings, and because of the high available Vdimm, you are able to do some nice OCs with the DFI board. It has been said that the DFI boards have very good quality, but again, I cant tell you this from 1st hand knowledge/experience.

Now, the Gigabyte, like I said, is very stable, etc etc. I have done some slight OCs, but using generic RAM, so it didnt turn out good. But, if you get the proper RAM, that can stabily OC with low voltages, than the Gigabyte should give some decent OCs. I can vouche for the quality on the Gigabyte board as being good, from what I can tell. The Gigabyte also is usually a couple dollars cheaper than the DFI.

Remember that you can still access and configure the timings availible through the DFI bios via the A64 Tweaker on any motherboard.

Not neccesarily, DFI is still the best board out there even if you don't have the best parts to go along with it. In addition, on AMD64s the hypertransport bus is already on a 1:5 ratio with the FSB so you can use value RAM with a divider and still overclock the CPU without worrying about a large loss in memory bandwidth.

Mind you, you'd have to lower the LDT ratio if you're overclocking anyways but the same can still be said about the bandwidth situation

PZEROFGH said:
so would that mean a DFI is better if only i get GOOD ram.

Well, the DFI is gonna be a better OCer with or without good RAM. The RAM is gonna limit how high of an overclock you can do. If you get budget ram, then less OC. But if you get some nice RAM, you'll get bigger OCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom