Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyeightballa

Baseband Member
i need some help understanding ddr and stuff

is ddr the lowest? (and what is that as pc????)

then ddr2 / ddr3 / gddr3?

i dunno someone explain plz

ok ddr=oldest but still probably the best ddr133 slow ddr266 medium slow ddr 333 medium fast ddr 400 fastest DDR 184 pin mainly there is some rdram or something but dont worry bout that that stuff is old
ddr2 i think the fastest is 667 and slowest is 533 and it has 240 pins
gddr3 is only in graphicas cards i beleive and its fast!

Dude, you need to do some searching on your own. But, because I am the nicest guy around, I'll give you the lowdown.

DDR=Double Data Rate. This is the most common RAM technlogy out now, especially for AMD. The most common speed of DDR is PC3200. PC3200 runs at 200MHz, but because it is DDR, it transfers data twice in one clock pulse (the double part). Therefore, it is sometimes referred to as DDR400.

DDR2=Pretty well the same kinda idea as DDR, but with some more pins and typically faster speeds.

DDR=I havent really looked into this very much, as it is not used in regular computers, except in video cards, which is in the form of GDDR3.

For basic questions like this, www.howstuffworks.com is your friend.

Counter-Strike said:
I am gonna go out on a limb here and say GDDR3 is:

Graphical Double Data Rate

Maybe? Lol?

nice one

GDDR3 is a graphics card-specific memory technology, designed by ATI Technologies.

It has much the same technological base as DDR2, but the power and heat dispersal requirements have been reduced somewhat, allowing for higher-speed memory modules, and simplified cooling systems. Unlike the DDR2 used on graphics cards, GDDR3 is unrelated to the upcoming JEDEC DDR-III specification. This memory also uses internal terminators, enabling it to better handle the demands of graphics today. To improve bandwidth, GDDR3 memory transfers 4 bits of data per pin in 2 clock cycles.

Despite being designed by ATI, the first card to use the technology was nVidia's GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, where it replaced the DDR2 modules that were being previously used on it. The next card to use it was nVidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra, where it was key in maintaining reasonable power requirements compared to its predecessor, the 5950 Ultra. ATI began using the memory on their Radeon X800 cards (currently 256mb GDDR3). GDDR3 is Sony's choice for the Playstation 3 console's graphics processor, although the main system memory will comprise of XDR_DRAM. Microsoft's Xbox 360 Will also be packaged with 512 MB of GDDR3 Memory, and is one of the pioneers of using this memory as standard system memory rather than purely video memory.

If the mobo I plan on getting says:
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128283

I could still use this right?
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145526

Is there other RAM I should get that would be better for around $100? I'm not opposed to getting only 512 at first if it costs more but would provide better performance.

Sorry for my ignorance... this is all new to me.

Thanks! Added it to my wishlist... hopefully I'll be ordering everything next. With everyone's help and friend's guidance, this is what I have. (I'm open to suggestions, the only thing I've really chosen without help is the cooling fan) I cant wait to get it!!

GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-K8N Ultra-9

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
Model #: VS1GBKIT400

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD2500KS

Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan - Retail
Model #: VENUS 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom