Stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwert

In Runtime
Does overclocking require you take-apart your PC and do something to the parts themselves or is it something on the operating system or what? Basically what I am asking, can I turn my computer on, follow some steps, and overclock my PC. Also, I want to do that for the video card and RAM too.

No, you don't have to touch your parts when you overclock. The only time you may have to is when you reset the CMOS. Most of your OC'ing is done in the bios.

So yes, you can just turn on your computer, follow some steps, and OC.

Before you begin OC'ing though, post your hardware and cooling. You won't be able to overclock much if you don't have adequate cooling.

Okay, I just want to try it out once, I have a 2.6GHZ Centrino, and some fan, don't know what kind. I don't want to overclock much, I just want to try overclocking it correctly. Just to 2.65 or 2.7GHZ.

How do I do that?

@Qwert
Go into your bios and check your front side bus and your multiplier. With that, figure out what FSB you will need to overclock to 2.7ghz.

Say for example you had an AMD @ 2.65ghz with a multiplier of 10x. You would have 265HTT (265 * 10 = 2650mhz = 2.65ghz). If you want 2.7ghz, you would throw it up to 270HTT. It's the same type of idea with an intel, but the multipliers and FSB have a different range. Very simple concept.

@PZEROFGH
I built this PC back in April '05. The Venice & San Diego didn't come out until a few months later. To be honest, for my purposes for my computer, the difference is irrelevant.

Okay, I got to the BIOS but it didn't let me change the clocking speeds or anything like that.

And I didn't see anything like a multiplier or anything like that.

Most companies that sell pre-built PC's don't let you adjust the FSB. And most CPU's don't let you change the multiplier upwards/at all. The FX series doesn't have a locked multiplier.

did you buy the pc from a manufacuter like gateway, dell, hp, compaq, dell, gateway, hp, uh, OEM machine..SONY..duh....if tahts they will lock the FSB and the Multipler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom