Fsb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onamission

Beta member
I really know nothing about computers, so please forgive my ignorance because I'm sure the questions I'm going to ask are going to sound very dumb. I fried the northbridge chip on my computer playing games so I have to replace the motherboard. It just came in the mail and I'm sitting here staring at the manual. It seemed like something I could do but I just realized I have to mess with the jumper thingies and I have no idea what the cpu frequency is supposed to be set at. My cpu is a Athlon xp 2600. Does anyone know what it's supposed to be set at? The settings the board supports are 100, 133, 166, and 200. Thanks for the help.

Well, do you have good cooling? At stock I believe the 2600 runs at 1.9 Ghz, so why not try around 166, I think AMD has 12-13 multipliers. If you have a lot of fans and your computer runs cooler, then boost it up to 200.

Don't worry about asking dumb questions, that's why we're here :)

First, here's a little background on front side bus. For an Intel CPU, the FSB value is quad-pumped, or multiplied by 4. For example, an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz w/ 800 FSB would have the motherboard setting set at 200 MHz * 4 = 800 MHz. AMD CPU's are a bit different, and are multiplied by 2 instead of by 4. For your particular CPU, the FSB value is 333 MHz. Therefore, to answer your question you motherboard value should be set at 166 MHz, so that 166 MHz * 2 = 333 MHz. Also, when finding overall operating frequency, you take the CPU frequency, mulitply it by the multiplier for your particular CPU, and then you arrive at the operating frequency value. For your XP 2600+ it would look like this.

166 MHz * 11.5 = 1909 MHz, or 1.91 GHz.

Does that help a bit?

No I don't have a lot of fans and don't plan to overclock, lol. I just need to set it at whatever the default should be. ;) If it had plenty of cooling the heatsink wouldn't have popped off the northbridge while I was playing Everquest. Rofl. Thanks for the help. I'll set it at 166 and see what happens. :)

Ok, another question. When I look at the system properties as it is now, it says it's 2.12ghz. How is it 2.12 if it should be 1.91? I'm so confused now and I'm no good with math. :D

Can you download CPU-Z and take a screenshot so we have an idea of what we're looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom