Overheating problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allanon754

Beta member
Hey all, I have my first build finally done, yes I'm a noob but somethings not right when I try to game on it. It keeps freezing after a minute or so for about five seconds with the sound repeating like a broken record, and then it resumes for a few seconds and repeats. Everything else runs fine and I'm at a loss as to this issue.

Sorry if I posted in wrong thread, wasn't sure if I should have put it in Gaming one or not :(

Oh and I checked the GPU temp and it was 58 degrees celsius, is that way too high?

Lan Party UT Nvidia nForce3 250Gb
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200
512 MB Crucial PC3200
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
GeForce 6800 GT

It could be triggered by the 2 different memory types you have installed. Try removing the Crucial 512mb and see if the same thing happens. Try it the other way around too.

And 58c on a video card is normal.

So you're saying it's most likely the memory that's causing my games to freeze up every few seconds?

Well I ran a benchmark test and it froze up every 10 or so seconds, why would the memory be screwing up?

General Information :
Chipset : nVidia nForce3 250
Chipset RAM Type : DDR-SDRAM PC2600
SPD RAM Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200
HTT Frequency : 200.9 MHz
Memory Bus Speed : 161 MHz
Chipset Bandwidth : 1608 MB/s
Memory Bandwidth : 2571 MB/s
Latency : CL2.5

Memory Information :
L1 Cache : 128 KB
L2 Cache : 512 KB
Total Memory : 1536 MB

Tests Information :
Instructions SSE, SSE2, SSE3 : 128-bit
Instructions MMX : 64-bit
Instructions 3DNow! : 64-bit
Instructions FPU : 64-bit
Instructions INT : 32-bit
Test : 2 x 64 MB
Prefetch-Block (8 KB) : Yes
Latency Stride : 512

That's results for Ram test and this is for Memory test

General Information :
Processor : AMD Athlon 64
Frequency : 2410.97 MHz
L1 Cache : 128 KB
L2 Cache : 512 KB
Total Memory : 1536 MB
HTT Frequency : 200.9 MHz

Processor Technology :
MMX : Yes
MMX AMD : Yes
3DNow! : Yes
SSE : Yes
SSE2 : Yes
SSE3 : No
x86-64 : Yes
EM64T : Yes
Hyper-Threading : No

Tests Information :
Instructions SSE, SSE2, SSE3 : 128-bit
Instructions MMX : 64-bit
Instructions 3DNow! : 64-bit
Instructions FPU : 64-bit
Instructions INT : 32-bit

In CPU-Z I found that There was no serial number for either corsair part or manafacturing date, is this bad?

i dont know what all that means but i would probably say its the ram no need to run memtest just take one stick out at a time and see.

I just got this same problem. It gets a bit ridiculous though. Whenever I load up Limewire or open a page with a bunch of pictures with the display on "thumbnails", audio just clips like a broken record and the mouse moves very choppy. In instances with Limewire, I have to restart the system.

This began after my system froze for a good bit. I had a game loaded or something, but when I came back about 20 minutes later, the computer was completely frozen. It kept doing that .2 second clipping (like a broken record, but very short repetitions). When I restarted, the system would freeze after the login screen. I could move my mouse and all, but I couldn't click anything. It wouldn't even recognize the hovers on the taskbar.

I rebooted in safe mode which worked, then used system restore. I was able to boot normally after that, but I've had this clipping sound under a bit of load, but nothing really intense.

My immediate thought was that it could be a warg'ed OS. Reformating is one of my last choices though.

I can run games fine though.

I really don't have adequate cooling, but I don't think it's overheating, at least in my case. My GPU temps idle in the 60s and reach up to 90C under tremendous load (obviously very very high). But the fact that Limewire causes the system to warg out is beyond that. It's not like Limewire requests high load from the GPU, so it isn't a GPU overheat. I don't think it's a CPU overheat; it isn't ridiculously hot.

CPU-Z reports that the RAM is fine, as well as all the other parts.

That is mainly why I put it down to an OS problem. Perhaps some sort of corrupt boot file is warg'ed, causing the system to warg out or something.

Any ideas?

Nevermind guys, I figured out the problem.

I had 8xAA and 16xAF set globally. Apparently things like Limewire and Java Applets were antialiased as well. Obviously it's a bit intense to antialias a program in 2D, so everything just crapped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom