Ideas to make TF more interesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
The context of this discussion was Beedubaya wondering why some of the older TF members are leaving even though we have an influx of new members - mostly younger dudes..

Anyways, Dave suggested that we continue the discussion here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'll be nice to have a h/w forum where we can talk about more interesting topics - like computer design for example, without getting bombarded with threads about system building etc. I think this would attract more knowledgeable people. Then we can talk about more serious topics on this forum. Right now, all we do in h/w is talk about specs of this card that card, etc. etc. etc. Wayy too repetitive.. So why not have 2 separate forums? One for h/w help and one for more survey type discussions - design issues, semi conductors, what Bell Labs is doing these days, new types of chips, etc. :)

it would be interesting if there were some way to reward members who help other members. like maybe a rating system per post or something as to whether or not the post was helpful, and if a user has a high enough raing, they get access to something or other. kind of vague, but thought it would be interesting.

also, bringing back a chat of some sort would be awesome. i understand it got taken off cause no one used it or something along those lines, but at least it would be there to use if it were there.

thats all i got right now.

We need to do something about all the video card threads. I do notice it has gotten better since I started rapidly closing them as soon as they appeared, but for a while, almost every thread in Hardware was "Which 6600GT", or "Which Graphics card for $100-$200." We are discussing in the mod forums about splitting the hardware zone, definately with the video cards seperate. This will allow more interesting threads to not be drowned in the plethora of video card threads.

Just make a sticky for the video cards... new ones are not all too frequent, and it can easily be told which is "the best", by the specs vs price. So just list them, and make the thread name obvious. Then any time someone does post, refer them to that thread and remind them not to spam...err, or not!

vBulletin has a reputation system that seems to be turned off here, you can basically give a user positive or negative rep points and leave a comment that the user can check out in their user cp.

gaara said:
vBulletin has a reputation system that seems to be turned off here, you can basically give a user positive or negative rep points and leave a comment that the user can check out in their user cp.

I like this idea a lot!! I definitely vote on this idea:D

that would be a good idea, but we could get some "evil" members who give bad rep points for no or bad reason(s), or people could join with more than one user name, so they could give themselves rep points

off-topic for a sec, that search TF before you post sig is absolute genius. you should put a google search underneath it :)

gaara said:
'

I like it but their's a few problems

At another forum I go to, we do this, and I have ALOT of rep

-You help a new member do something, you get a single point (if any at all)
-You make a joke somewhere, you get 20 rep points from 5 people.

Rep points are not mainly for the people that help

Chankama said:
It'll be nice to have a h/w forum where we can talk about more interesting topics[...]design issues, semi conductors, what Bell Labs is doing these days, new types of chips, etc. :)

i agree, it would be nice, and you would think that these sort of topics would come up naturally, but the reason that these sort of topics don't come up is because the teen population in this forum outnumber the adult population by at least 3 to 1. there are very few teens that even know what semi and super conducters even are, so none of them are going to bring the topic up. and there aren't enough people in this forum that know what to talkabout when conversing about technology at that level, so the thread would swiftly dissapear in favor of threads with the title reminiscent of 'what graphic card should i get for under $200?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom