too much to put in subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

azadder

Beta member
I've got this computer given to me from a guy I know because he didn't want to do anything with it. He couldn't get any OS to install on it. I took it apart, hooked up motherboard, power, and cd-rom and installed Linspire (4.5.499) with no problems.

Anyway, I plan on putting this rig in my Jeep (I'll make a modified case). I am going to use it as a 2nd (more interactive) media hub (I've got a music/dvd player with screens). I want this PC to control a set of LED's to display custom messages on the back of my truck (that's the cool part).

Now, to my questions : I know next to nothing about doing my own circuitry (circuitboard designs/resistors/anode,cathode/power/ground). The led display I plan on making will be 5 x 20 (or so).

What type of LEDs (and or other hardware) would I need to make this circuit?
How can I connect this display to my computer?
How would I be able to control it? (I don't have a problem with coding - just not sure what programs I would need)

I guess that's about the end of it. I posted this in hardware because this requires a lot of hardware... and ... well - didn't see a better place to post. Thanks for all replies.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. That kind of goes around the whole "using my computer" thing, though. I really want to build this all myself. I'm just lost at which direction to take.

http://www.electronicdisplays.com/prodcat/detail.asp?id=655

These even come with their own PC software for controlling, quite expensive although.

http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/Lcd/128x64 LCD_Display_Terminal.htm

I've seen some that connect to a PC via the serial port, so they can even be controlled from HyperTerminal!

But seriously, I'd go for buying an LCD panel pre-made than trying to make your own! Probably be able to find some instructions on the Internet somewhere, doubt it will be easy though.

Good luck to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom