Help Building a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

freestylekgb13

Beta member
Hey, this is my first time building a PC so I was wondering if someone could tell me if the parts i picked are compatible with one another:

Chassis/Power Supply - Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450 Watt Power Supply

Motherboard - Abit AV8 VIA K8T800 Pro Socket 939

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz

Memory - 1GB Kingston RAM

Optical Drive - Plextor PX-716 Internal ATAPI Drive

Hard Drive - Seagate 200 GB 7200RPM 8MB cache (Ultra ATA/100 interface)

Video Card - ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB DDR2 256-bit

Sound Card Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS

Also, would this be a good computer for playing games such as Battlefield 2 and Half-Life 2?

Thanks for your help!

Don't get a 9800, they don't have PS3.0, which is going to be required for future games. Go w/ a 6600GT or 6800GT

What's PS3.0. Name for next generation gaming console???? LOL. It's SM 3.0. Shader Model 3.0. Not Pixel Shader...
What is your budget. Those are very bad parts...

Get a better motherboard
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135

Ram
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K-128

Hard Drive- Definitely get the sata version of yours...

Sound Card-if can afford get the gamer edition

Video card- Either 6600GT/6800/6800GT/6800Ultra/7800GTX unless you're willing to wait for ATI's R520 with support for SM 3.0.

ROger

If you don't have windows
Microsoft Windows XP Home w/Service Pack 2-92

You will also want to get a PSU: OCZ 520w Modstream. You can't go wrong with that. Matter of fact, any other brand-name PSU would be fine.

You might actually be able to get away with that case PSU, but there isn't much protecting it in the event of an overcurrent or undercurrent.

As for your BF2/HL2 question, a 6600 GT will easily be able to handle them at medium if not high. A 6800 GT will surely be able to play ANY game out right now at full blast settings with a very decent framerate.

What core is that CPU? A better option would be the 3700+ San Diego. It's a newer core, found on the faster AMD processors.

@damasta55r
I thought it was called Pixel Shader 3.0.

It's a San Diego core...

I haven't heard any good things about that PSU, but a lot of people seem to have it. Then again, his system won't require a ridiculous amount of power.

get either the 3700 san diago or a 3000 venice and overclock to 3800 btw i would say the ocz powerstreem is better

Sh0r_ty said:
get either the 3700 san diago or a 3000 venice and overclock to 3800 btw i would say the ocz powerstreem is better

Indeed, the powerstream is much better. But this kid is on a huge budget so a $120 is probably out of the question.

But do you really think he could get a 3000+ venice to 3800+ on stock cooling? 400mhz seems like a bit of a stretch for stock cooling or even a custom heatsink.

of course it is, rosewill isn't much of a name-brand. It just offers more bang for the buck and will meet his needs.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom